Bathroom underfloor heating options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to refurbish our house bathroom; completely strip everything out and start again. As we are planning to include an open ended walk in shower area, the bathroom needs to be warm. Currently it has a large towel rail, but I was considering installing underfloor heating as well as a large towel rail. For Summer, when the gas central heating is barely on, an electric element and timer would be used to control the towel rail, to ensure towels could be dried. We already have this setup in our en-suite bathroom and it works well.

Our 5 bedroom home (over 3 floors) is currently served by a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 637 System Boiler, a Vaillant uniSTOR 210 unvented cylinder for hot water, and Wunda 4 valve manifold for the kitchen/dining/sitting area underfloor heating. A Vaillant VR 61 wiring centre provides two zones; one for the underfloor heating and one for the radiators in the rest of the house. The UFH manifold has a spare valve as only 3 are currently used.

My initial thoughts were to use the spare manifold valve for the bathroom UFH, but I realised I wouldn't be able to control the temperature as the manifold is connected to one of the zones controlled by a thermostat in the kitchen/dining/sitting area.

I'm therefore wondering if I could simply treat the bathroom underfloor heating as an extra large "radiator" by connecting some UHF pipes to the existing piping and introduce a zone valve and bathroom thermostat to control the flow of water through it (a bit like a thermostatic radiator valve). Unfortunately, this setup would rely on the house heating being on, which is controlled by a thermostat in the downstairs entrance hallway, so it wouldn't be ideal, but I guess it would be no different to radiators in rooms with thermostatic valves?

Any thoughts on whether this would work and what the pros and cons are of tagging onto the existing heating system in this way?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, a bit of Googling suggests that underfloor heating needs to run at a lower temperature than traditional heating systems, so simply hooking up some UFH pipe to the existing CH pipes looks like a no go without using a "blender" to reduce the temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back