Bathroom units over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new bathroom and will be fitting a tall storage unit which goes higher than half tiled section of the wall. Does anyone know how I deal with it so that I don't have a gap the depth of a tile on the top half ?

The only options I can think off are to tile round it and mount it directly on the wall or to pad out the half above the tiles with some 10mm (or similar) material and paint it. I'm concerned that would look messy ! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can the back of the storage unit be cut to accommodate the contour of the wall? Wooden furniture often has a lip of 10mm or so on the side panels that could maybe be cut with a jig saw? Of course, the unit wont look pretty if ever you decide to relocate it to another wall!

I'm not sure - I'll have to unpack it!

I'd be really nervous about hacking at a new unit. The OH would have my bits if I so much as scratch it visibly. Is there a 'standard' for doing this ?

The place I bought if from said tile under and pad it out, then paint the padding the same colour as the wall. But I can imagine that not looking great...

What about adding two columns of tiles ( matching or contrasting ) where the sides of the unit will go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - that's a good idea. If I finish it with an edging strip it should look ok. Sounds like a plan !! Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back