Refitting bathroom and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quicky, I'm wondering what order this is normally done in?

My bathroom is all prepped, everything is good to go, and I am retiling and fitting a new suite.
I know that you have to establish the top of the bath in order to get your line to tile to, but I am a bit nervous about tiling over the new bath, and I won't be able to reach the top of the wall anyway without standing in / on the bath if it's already in place.

Is it a case of pretty much fitting the bath, marking the wall, then removing the bath again, tiling, then refitting the bath, or am I missing a simpler way of doing things here?

Even without the bath in the way I shall still need to use a step ladder to tile the tops of the wall.

Sponsored Links
It is normal to allow the both to be cut/recessed slightly into the wall, where the bath meets walls. This will help when sealing around the edge.
So you can do that first, then measure and set out for tiles.
Leaving the final row of tiles which will end up being fixed at the lower level around the top of the bath, you can then fit a batten no more then one tile up from edge of bath to top edge of batten, remove bath and tile above the batten, reinstall bath for final row of tiles around the bath.
Make sure the batten is level and the gap left is either suitable for one tile plus tile spacing or smaller as you can cut to size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back