Bath and Wetwall on top of tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace a shower cubicle with a bath, while retaining existing shower above bath.

The 2 walls inside the shower are currently tiled so rather than removing I am hoping to fit the bath with these in situ and place wetwall type panels on top of the tiles and above the bath. Is it ok to fit the bath to tiled walls or will I need to remove these up to the line of the top of the bath?

Sponsored Links
Presumably you mean the PVC wall cladding sheets? Will these run the full length of the bath? Presumably the tiles don't run the full length of the bath only the depth of the shower?

Last edited:
Your bath is likely to have a curved edge. If pressed steel, that radius is likely to be bigger than a "plastic" bath. That means that your silicone line will need to be bigger. Not a biggy though.

Edit- I didn't read your post properly. please ignore

Hi, sorry the current tiles are the full length of both walls so would extend beyond the length and breadth of the bath, and are floor to ceiling. In terms of the pvc cladding, if that’s what is it nowadays? I remember see it fitted years ago and it was an mdf type material with a nard laminate type sheet coating

Sponsored Links
I remember see it fitted years ago and it was an mdf type material with a nard laminate type sheet coating
The stuff these days is similar to the whiterock used in commercial kitchens and butchers shops and is generally PVC (or at least the stuff I fitted in step sister's house a few years back was)

Wide variety of wall panels available, from 4mm plastics sheet to 10mm laminate on ply you mentioned and lots in between.

I am looking to replace a shower cubicle with a bath, while retaining existing shower above bath.

The 2 walls inside the shower are currently tiled so rather than removing I am hoping to fit the bath with these in situ and place wetwall type panels on top of the tiles and above the bath. Is it ok to fit the bath to tiled walls or will I need to remove these up to the line of the top of the bath?
Yes is the answer if the tiles are sound , but pin a batten to the wall to sit the bath on if it’s an acrylic bath. You can bond most panels directly to the tiles if the walls are nice and flat.

Thanks for comments. I’ll screw a batten to wall as advised-will fully frame the bath

Realised I may have to remove the tiles on the wall the shower mixer is on as the threads connecting the mixer to pipes unlikely to accommodate the thickness of new wall panels and the tiles, if that makes sense.
Fortunately that’s the shorter wall with fewest tiles on!

Thanks for comments. I’ll screw a batten to wall as advised-will fully frame the bath

Realised I may have to remove the tiles on the wall the shower mixer is on as the threads connecting the mixer to pipes unlikely to accommodate the thickness of new wall panels and the tiles, if that makes sense.
Fortunately that’s the shorter wall with fewest tiles on!
You can get short extensions for surface shower mixer to bring it forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back