Gap between bath and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The seal around my bath is very discoloured and needs to be replaced (starting to leak). Problem is that where the edge of the bath meets the wall the sealant strip looks to be plastered to the wall, and matches up to the bottom of the lower set of tiles.

If I remove this seal I will have a 1inch gap between the edge of the bath and the tiles, water will have no problem getting through this. A builder recommended re-tiling the entire wall, on top of the existing tiles so that the new row of tiles can be matched up to the bath, leaving a small gap which can just be filled with a small amount of silicon sealant.

Don't really want to have the entire wall retiled, any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the tiles don't actually sit on top of the seal (I am thinking it may be the type that is about 1" right angles)?

If so you could try cutting it back to the tiles with a utility knife then applying a new seal that sits on top of the tiles instead. The tiles would have to be thoroughly cleaned and dried before applying the new seal.

Notes:

1) Fill the bath with water prior to sealing, to allow for any movement caused through the weight.

2) Once the bath is full, and tiles / bath edge cleaned (use meths) it is worth applying a good bead of silicone between the bottom of the tile edge and the bath, and allowing to cure, before fitting the new seal.

Lou.

You are correct, the tiles do sit on top of the seal and then comes out at a right angle joining the bath. The current seal is stained, and has peeled back from the bath in place leaving a 3mm gap.

You recommend cutting the right-angle away so it lies flat, then re-sealing on top of the original seal?

Unless the bath is installed correctly [against the wall] and tiled down onto then any fix will only be temporary and will fail again, and again etc. etc.

Sponsored Links
You are correct, the tiles do sit on top of the seal and then comes out at a right angle joining the bath. The current seal is stained, and has peeled back from the bath in place leaving a 3mm gap.

You recommend cutting the right-angle away so it lies flat, then re-sealing on top of the original seal?

Correct. You can get seals that sit on top of the tiles (which must be spotless cleaned - use meths).

You then adhere the fixing tape to the tile and then adhere the bath seal EXAMPLES

Lou

Correct. You can get seals that sit on top of the tiles (which must be spotless cleaned - use meths).

You then adhere the fixing tape to the tile and then adhere the bath seal EXAMPLES

Lou

Sorry cannot get the link to work. Just go to wickes website and search for bath seal. Thios will bring up the seals, and fixing tape etc.

Works well if you follow the instructions. You will also get added protection by sealing the gap between the tiles and the bath, as previously suggested.

Lou.

Many thanks

I was tempted to by a number of decorative tiles, remove the seal and add a layer of tiles to the top of the bath and over the existing tiles. I was hoping that as they were decorative it would take the focus off the fact that it was an extra tile and look a little nicer..?

Many thanks

I was tempted to by a number of decorative tiles, remove the seal and add a layer of tiles to the top of the bath and over the existing tiles. I was hoping that as they were decorative it would take the focus off the fact that it was an extra tile and look a little nicer..?

Yes its a better alternative IF you can remove the tiles without causing any further damage - it depends how secure the neighbouring tiles are and how careful you are. If you are planning a new suite in the next year or two, I would seal over the top for now.

Dont forget, either way fill the bath with water whilst everything cures!

Lou.

Just clocked the bit about 'over tiling' - you can give it a go, but you will still need some sort of seal. Not sure how tiles on tiles will look, but thats your call! Let me know how you get on. Cheers.

Lou

sorry, last post abc not helpful, not sure what happened there!!!

What I was going to suggest was using PVC quandrant to fill the gap rather than trying tiling or even filling with silicone.

My company sells a 19mm white quandrant and a good waterproof adhesive/sealant, which would do the job (links below)

I agree that you need to make sure that everything is cleaned off before you start and also fill the bath with water.

http://www.gbplastics.co.uk/Products/Adhesives_pinkgrip_fixall_glue_stix_mitremate_supaglue/FIXALL

http://www.gbplastics.co.uk/Products/White_Trims_quadrant_window_mould_batten_fillet_bead

Just noticed this thread....
I think it sounds like a bit like my problem in a rented house in my post 'another expanding foam nightmare' in DIY disasters...

Before you do anything are you sure the bath is secure - doesn't wriggle around...no matter what you do (fill bath with water etc) if it shifts (sideways or lengthways) when you get in/out you'll break the seal in no time...

Sounds like a bodge - so it is possible ...

In my one if you pulled (lightly) on the side of the bath you could see it move away from the wall....
:eek:

Just noticed this thread....

Before you do anything are you sure the bath is secure - doesn't wriggle around...no matter what you do (fill bath with water etc) if it shifts (sideways or lengthways) when you get in/out you'll break the seal in no time...

Good point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back