Bathroom Tiling:Water Membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a shower fitted over the bath a couple of months ago, and have been keeping the walls dry using Wilkos decoraters sheet....:) I'm about to start tiling and just wondered a few things. Walls are plasterboard with no tiles on them at the moment.

Is it best to coat the walls with a water memebrane? If so, where's the best place to get some?

A lot of people I know have problems with the showers leaking into the room below, and I'm really keen for this not to happen. Is the following going ot be ok, or are there better solutions?

1.Coat the walls with a water membrane (Depending on answer to above question)
2.Seal the bath with sealent
3.Apply a sealent strip between the bath and wall (Before tiling)
4.Tile with the bottom tile going over the top of the sealant strip
5.Seal the bottom tile to the strip with sealant.

Reason I'm thinking step 3 is becasue most water hangs around the bath edge, so if there's sealant there already, and double protection with the strip, any water at the bottom wont get through to the sealant and gradually soak through.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes,apply a sealent strip between the bath to the wall before tiling and after tiling,but before you do this make sure your bath is rigid (no movement when you stand in it) check the bath support frame are screw down to floor and try supporting the bottom base of the bath with timber packing to the floor to make it more solid.This will stop the sealant splitting from the bath and wall.Also for info you can get waterproof tile backing board from Wickes to protect your plasterboard if the water find it way in though the grout,if not you can Unibond the plasterboard with part water.

It is also a good idea to fill your bath with water when you put the final bead of sealant on . This will stop it stretching too much and possibly coming away the first time you fill the bath and get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back