Replacing very mouldy sealant (even worse on the backside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the sealant in my Dad's bathroom, partly because he didn't do a very neat job (he refitted the entire bathroom himself and did a nice job with most of it, it's just the sealant he's not great at) and partly because there's a fair bit of mould on it now. I'm pretty sure he used an anti-mould sealant but I've bought some Tec BT1 with "unique Tribrid technology" which promises "No more mould and fungal growth" (we'll see!)

When I pulled some of the old sealant out (it's very satisfying when I manage to rip a big strip out in one piece!), I was shocked to see the back of it was almost entirely black, as you can see in the attached photo.

The bathroom has an exterior wall, which is solid brick so no cavity insulation. I'm wondering if this is just something that is going to happen until such time as we get external cladding fitted to insulate the wall?

I've attached a second photo which shows the gap between the tile and the bath where the sealant was. It's quite deep, so might it be possible to just put a thin layer of sealant there to seal the gap between the tile and the bath to stop water getting in, but without filling the depth so the sealant isn't touching the wall, and would that prevent it getting mouldy? Or is there something I could line the gap with before filling it with sealant that would isolate it from the wall and prevent it getting mouldy?

There's a plastic strip fitted to the bath so the sealant actually goes between that and the tile rather than the bath itself, then there's some more sealant under and next to the plastic strip joining it to the bath and it's quite difficult to get all the old sealant and mould out from under that. Is there a reason for using this plastic strip, rather than just having sealant filling the gap between the tile and the bath as I have in my bathroom?

It would certainly be a lot easier to replace all the sealant if that plastic strip wasn't there. Maybe it helps to avoid scratching the bath when removing the sealant between the strip and the tile, because if you slip you'll probably hit the strip rather than the bath, but if you need to replace the sealant joining the strip to the bath because that's also gone mouldy you're more likely to scratch the bath with how difficult it is to get under it, so it seems a bit pointless.

EDIT: Forget to mention I also bought some Unibond Silicone Sealant Remover. I haven't tried it yet, as it says to remove as much as possible manually so I've been doing that and I'm not sure if I need to use something to attack the remaining mould before I use this.

Attachments

• Mould on rear of sealant.jpg
    Mould on rear of sealant.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Gap between tiles and bath.jpg
    Gap between tiles and bath.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
Can't really see what's what from the picture but sealant isn't a gap filler. You'd be best filling that gap (filler, plaster, sand cement or whatever you have to hand) flush to the surface of the tiles including removing the plastic strip if it's suspect. Then go to a uPVC supplier (eg Eurocell) and buy a length of trim tall enough to overlap the tiles by 10-15mm, stick it on and silicone top and bottom with a fine bead - you probably won't even need to trim the nozzle.

I've cut the horizontal part of the strip away from the vertical (which I can't remove as it sits under the tiles), so it looks like the attached photo now.

If I'm just going to stick a vertical strip on top of the tiles and then seal top and bottom, is there really any need to fill the gap first?

Attachments

• Cleared gap between bath and tiles.jpg
    Cleared gap between bath and tiles.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 45
Sort of depends how well your dad fixed the bath and whether it will move in that void.

Sponsored Links
He's fitted some sort of thick sealant (more rubbery than normal sealant) between the edge of the bath and the wall, so hopefully that will keep it in place but to be safe I'll buy some tubes of plaster filler and fill in the gap before fitting the strip on top.

If the bath wasn't properly fixed in place, surely the plastic strip and sealant on top of it that was between the bath and the tiles wouldn't have been sufficient to stop the bath moving?

I assumed that the void that is now exposed was fully filled with the original sealant.

Yeah, more or less, apart from the space that was taken up by the plastic strip, then it was just sealant above that up to the tiles.

I've discussed it with my Dad now and he says the bath is solidly fixed in place, so we don't really need to fill the gap. His choice is to stick a 20x20mm plastic angle over the gap and seal it along both edges, but we're going to fill the gap level with the tiles first anyway, just to make it easier to stick the strip down with some double-sided tape to keep it in place when sealing it. It might have been possible to do that without filling the gap, but the strip only covers the tiles by a few mm so it may have been tricky.

If it was my bathroom I'd prefer to use a flat bar sealed top and bottom to leave most of the edge of the bath exposed but he says he's not bothered about that and we already have the angle trim, so it saves me trying to find a 2m x 20-25mm flat bar, if that even exists as I haven't found anywhere selling it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back