Is this an expensive quote??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was going to completely redo my bathroom but due to time constraints think it would be better to get the professionals in.

I was hoping to spend £3000, almost 1000 of this is on tiles. This means £2000 for labour including all other building materials. My bathroom is tall, long and narrow - approx 3.5x 1.5m

The tradesmen who gave me this quote I like, he seems like he has a good eye for detail and would do a professional job.

I need the old suite removed, walls re-plasterboarded, false ceiling install with spot lights, new wall hung vanity unit and bath plumbed in and the whole bathroom tiled.

The quote I have been given is £3100 inc materials and labour. This does not include the actual tiles though. Does this seem fair or expensive?

I have included a copy of the quote and works involved below - Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Plumber work

Strip out existing 3 piece suite and shower.
Remove radiator and replace valves, fit after tiling completed.
Renew all pipe work necessary from source and fit isolation valves on all supplies.
Alter 15mm supply and 32mm waste to suit new wall mounted vanity unit.
Alter 15mm supply for new electric shower, fit after tiling completed.
Fit new 1700 x 750mm bath, silicone seal prior to tiling.
Fit back to wall WC after tiling completed.
Alter mains and fit new stop cock.
Fit wash hand basin after vanity unit installed.
Fill and pressure test all, silicone seal to finish.

Joiner work

Remove existing tiles from and check substructure of walls.
If necessary strip substructure, bond and dry line walls with 12.5mm plasterboard.
Install shelving or hinged unit behind shower partition wall (client to confirm).
Lower ceiling by approximately 150mm and sheet with 9.5mm plasterboard.
Remove existing flooring and secure sub-floor before fixing minimum 12mm exterior plywood at 200mm centres.
Fit new walnut front and end bath panel and plinths if required.
Fit support pad in wall to take new wall mounted vanity unit.
Fit new shower screen and any accessories after tiling completed
Remove door and plane to new tile height, fit new threshold bar to suit.
Fit 12mm plywood on wall hung WC frame to support WC.
Address door facings issue when new wall depth is available.

Tiling work

Tile 5 m/sq shower and WC wall with mosaic style ceramic.
Tile 22 m/sq bath, door and radiator wall with 600 x 300mm porcelain landscape style stacked.
Tile 3.5 m/sq floor with 600 x 600mm porcelain (TBC by client).
Tile floor to ceiling, ingoes, ledge and soffit. Use straight edge chrome trim on externals.
Flexible adhesive to be used on all areas. Grout, silicone seal and polish.

Decorator work

Tape and fill plasterboard on ceiling and use moisture proof paint to finish.
Sand and paint woodwork around door (window not included).

Electrician work

Fit 6 low voltage 50W downlights in polished chrome finish (supplied).
Fit new single pole switch for light in hall.
Run new 10mm cable to distribution board to take higher rated shower and fit new 45A fuse.
Run 1.5mm cable to centre above vanity unit for demister/lighted mirror.
Wire new shower after tiling completed and fit mirror.

All Building materials will be supplied -, i.e. timber, plumbing sundries, adhesives etc. All debris and rubbish will be removed upon completion. All our work is fully insured and guaranteed.

Total for works, Labour and Materials £3100

Sponsored Links
This depends on a few factors. where you live. have you had any other quotes? and whether this person has been recommended to you by someone you know.
In my opinion there is a lot of work involved and they seem to be supplying all relevant materials to complete job, so I would say it is a fair price. Did they say how many days they would be ?
lighting and electrics in bathroom comes under Part P of the building regs so there are legal requirements which have to be adhered to .
Insurance is not cheap these days .
fuel prices - wages - tax- national insurance - telephone - so on and so forth.
Do not think of paying a guy £1000 a day if the job is completed in 3 days , think of it as paying a business to do the job at £3000 completed.. If you are happy at the end then pay any outstanding monies to the firm ( I assume you are not agreeing to pay in full until completed to your satisfaction)

best of luck
Phill

Thanks for the reply. Apparently it'll be a 7day job and no money changing hands till everything is signed off as satisfactory.

I thought the price was OK at first but my dad has now convinced me that their expenses probably wont be any more than £500 so £2500 for a weeks labour seems hard to justify.

I'll think it over but they seem like good guys so hopefully can negotiate on price a little

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Apparently it'll be a 7day job and no money changing hands till everything is signed off as satisfactory.

I thought the price was OK at first but my dad has now convinced me that their expenses probably wont be any more than £500 so £2500 for a weeks labour seems hard to justify.

I'll think it over but they seem like good guys so hopefully can negotiate on price a little
Is the quote one persons wage or many, doubt one person will finish it to a good standard in a week given that the tiling will need another day to grout and same with floor. not much you can do in a bathroom while the the floor is laid. :?:
You may want a dimmer on that much lighting, or even fit led's and reduce running costs to less than 10% of the 50watt bulbs.

It's 2 guys. The guy seemed to think low voltage light where the way to go because they apparently are brighter?

Used to be but now led's can be found almost as bright and 6 in a small room is a lot of lighting.

New bathroom - just ask your friendly * sea going mammal that kids swim with * salesperson - then you`ll know what expensive is - Allegedly ;)

Yep agree with you there. That sea creature company quoted a customer (now mine) £31,000 for not disimilar job as this. :evil: Also come across their quality of work before - not impressed. As to the above quote, suggest you always get two or three quotes to compare and recommendations wherever possible.

You say initially that you want to spend £3000, and £1000 of that is on tiles. How did you arrive at these figures? If you think the quote is unfair then challenging the guys to cut their prices will upset them no end, ho would you like your employer to pay you £4 an hour for 7 days??

I suspect your father has no idea on costing materials or indeed whats involved, as if he did they he would be arranging the job for you or doing it himself.

Perhaps ask if you can pay for all the materials and pay the two guys a day rate for as long as it takes them, now that would be the fairest way of doing things wouldn't it?

Hi 1John,

I agree, my dad is a bit of an idiot.

On the other hand I have been quoted around £500 for all the tiling including materials from various tilers. This to mee seems to be the vast majority of the work. The rest involves putting plasterboard on the ceiling and walls and a very small amount of plumbing and electrical work.

Im not trying to devalue the trade but if £500 is the going rate for the tiling work is £2500 really justified for the remaining work? I'm not trying to be tight either. Im all for paying a fair price for a fair job but as this is the first time ive had to redo a bathroom I thought I'd get second opinions from those with a better idea than my dad

then challenging the guys to cut their prices will upset them no end

Really? It's business after all? Surely tradespeople are open to a small amount of negotiation and if the price isnt right, take it on the chin and try elsewhere.

Oh come on, get some more like for like quotes tis the only way you can know if his quote is fair. Its unfair bartering him down unless you've done this, you could get 2 more quotes both more expensive, his quote would start to look pretty attractive then and vice versa don't you think?

Freddy is right, you need more 'like for like' quotes to know whats the going rate, only people in your area could give an accurate answer, and even then they havn't seen the job. Be wary of anyone who is willing to give a price without looking at a job. The most important thing you want is a sterling job, it's no good saving £500 or whatever if the work is junk and fails. You want top quality materials used, especially for the tiling, quality branded adhesive and grout. Silicone too, I tend to use "forever white" silicone, it may cost four times more than cheap silicone but it does have a ten year guarantee against black mould developing on it if it is cleaned and also contains microban. Likewise with grout, I like to have something with microban in it too. I seem to be rambling on but what i'm getting at is that it is better to pay good money for a quality job that will stand the test of time than pay cheap and have to redo it in 5 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back