Medium Duty Plasterboard Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I need to fit a new bath screen and shower head on top of the ceramic wall tiles.
Will medium duty plasterboard fixings work?

I plan to drill 10 mm holes using ceramic tile bits. put the plug in and then screw it on. will this hold?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sal

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion mate but I reckon that 10mm are on the big side....I'd consider 8mm for the screen and 6 for the shower head.
Drill the tiles very carefully, starting with a 5mm bit and going up...no hammer action at the start and use masking tape for the drill tip to bite on if you can.
John :)

Just my opinion mate but I reckon that 10mm are on the big side....I'd consider 8mm for the screen and 6 for the shower head.
Drill the tiles very carefully, starting with a 5mm bit and going up...no hammer action at the start and use masking tape for the drill tip to bite on if you can.

hiya john,
its on plasterboard and its a whole shower unit, abt 5- 7 kgs? with a hand shower unit. the Oslo 2275 - S1 Exposed Shower Set from www.plumbfit.com

Many thanks for the tip on the masking tape on the drill bit tip.

8 mm for the screen sounds ok. :)
many thanks
saleem

Just a tip that maybe comes with a little experience, but if you get a firm fixing with your wall plugs, gluing them in with PVA glue does no harm and using a stainless self tapping screw just slightly thicker than recommended can give an excellent grip.
Another clever device is a hollow wall anchor - for example Screwfix 18266. These however do not sit tightly against the wall but are slightly proud...but they sure have their uses!
I hope all goes well

Sponsored Links
Before you fix the shower screen, drill the fixing holes, put the plugs in then run a bead of clear silicon straight down the wall where the shower screen is going. This will seal the screen and should stop any water leaking into the wall plugs.

Doe'snt matter , tile on plasterboard, it will leak :rolleyes:

Did not understand how it would leak?
water going into the wall thru the plug?

thanks
I'd be more concerned about the tile on plasterboard if it's not tanked. Apart from expensive epoxy products, waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof to the extent it won’t dissolve when it gets wet, it will still absorb water & once it gets into the plasterboard, it will dissolve; even Moisture Resistant PB will fail eventually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back