Fixing to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the best fixings to use for fitting medium to heavy items to plasterboard walls? Despite the claims of the manufacturers most I have trried are next to useless. They either leave a ruddy great, impossible to use hole in the plasterboard or just end up rotating round in the hole as you tighten the screw

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
If you're fixing large items (kitchen cabinets) to walls, best bet is to replace the plasterboard with plywood. No plugs required, screw into it. ;)

We use these for fixing data cabinets to walls, no problems :)

8266_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Found the 'Molly' fixings by Black & Decker to be pretty good fixings ..... expensive though and only found them in Homebase. The one's you just hammer in I like.

If you're trying to fix anything overly large onto plasterboard then you would be better off doing as suggested and using plywood behind plasterboard, or wooden battens if you only need a few fixings. The plasterboard itself is only nailed/screwed to the wall in a handful of places (assuming stud wall), and for that reason, even with good fixings, I would be hesitant about trying to hang anything heavy off it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back