Plasterboard fixings close together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 1.2m curtain pole to fix to a plasterboard wall.
I was planning to use redidrive fixings:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...ill+Plasterboard+Screw+Zinc/d90/sd1930/p55036

The two curtain rod brackets have a small round plate which has a triangle of holes for fixing. 2cm centre to centre.
I'm concerned that 3 of these fixings so close together wouldn't leave much plasterboard between them, for a strong fixing.
There's no chance of finding any wood to fix to as there is 50mm of celotex behind the drywall.
Any ideas on the best way to fix these things?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to drill into the wall or lintel not just the platerboard
if its dot and dab it wont be enough for those plugs as they will go deeper than the gap
i would only use them with greater than 50mm between them

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
you need to drill into the wall or lintel not just the platerboard
if its dot and dab it wont be enough for those plugs as they will go deeper than the gap
i would only use them with greater than 50mm between them

It's 25x50 battens then 50mm celotex then PB.
I'd prefer not to penetrate the celotex and the VCL, if I can.
So there's no other strong fixing than going through to the superstructure?

I usually fix a piece of timber, 25X50mm across the top of windows for the curtains/poles, etc.
Fix it with a construction adhesive such as No Nails and a couple of screw fixings.
I've never had one come down yet, even glued over the top of wallpaper! :!: :eek:

You could easily use some timber a bit smaller.
Plane it, sand it and paint it before you fix it.

Sponsored Links
You could use these,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97406...ll-Plasterboard-Fixing-Nylon-32mm-Pack-of-100
and just use two of the three fixings.
They are much smaller than the standard plug.

The toolstation fixings, I linked to above have screws which are longer than the fixing. When fully in, they protrude about 1cm. Whereas the metal plate for the curtain pole fixing is only about 1mm thick. Thus they need shorter screws.
Do those screwfix ones, fix down to 1mm?
I notice with the metal fixings that the screw sometimes jams in the fixing. I assume this is not an issue with the nylon fixings?

I usually fix a piece of timber, 25X50mm across the top of windows for the curtains/poles, etc.

Hmmm. I was trying to avoid doing that. It's something that I did in other rooms to get around the crumbly plaster, where I wasn't particularly bothered about the finish. In this newly renovated room, I thought i could just use the plasterboard.

You could use these,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97406...ll-Plasterboard-Fixing-Nylon-32mm-Pack-of-100
and just use two of the three fixings.
They are much smaller than the standard plug.

The toolstation fixings, I linked to above have screws which are longer than the fixing. When fully in, they protrude about 1cm. Whereas the metal plate for the curtain pole fixing is only about 1mm thick. Thus they need shorter screws.
Do those screwfix ones, fix down to 1mm?
I notice with the metal fixings that the screw sometimes jams in the fixing. I assume this is not an issue with the nylon fixings?
The nylon fixing are more forgiving, can be used with screw provided[or cut down]or other narrow gauge screws.

The nylon fixing are more forgiving, can be used with screw provided[or cut down]or other narrow gauge screws.

I did some further experiments on a spare bit of PB. I used the nylon redidrive type fittings you linked to (well I used Fischer's version). I found the screw could still jam in the nylon version. If it does then it's very easy to wreck the PB, as the nylon screw rips through the PB without warning.
I found that the universal type plugs:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20669...mance-Universal-Plugs-UX8-4-5-6mm-Pack-of-100

gave the strongest fitting which was predictable and reversible.
The nylon plug basically contracts into a round blob on the back of the PB. Ends up like a blob of chewing gum on the other side of the PB. The screw can easily be removed and replaced maintaining the same strong fixing.
I also drilled another fixing hole in the small circular metal fixing plate, to give me two fixing points as far apart as possible.
A relatively expensive experiment considering the curtain pole cost a tenner, but I learnt something. Perhaps it might help someone else. Toolstation do something similar for much less, which is probably just as good:

http://www.toolstation.com/documents/catalogue/catalogue38/?hl=34279

Thanks for all the help.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back