Bathroom ventilation vertically through roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can anyone point me towards information on how to install a vertical flue through a tile roof for the purposes of carrying damp air from a bathroom extractor fan? All the information I've found seems to either talk about fitting the extractor fan in the outside wall (this is impractical for me due to limited space in the bathroom and a 2 foot thick stone wall) or refer to heating flues, which are obviously expected to be fitted by professionals.

Can anyone even tell me the name of the thing I need to replace a roof tile so I can do some more effective searching! Also, I've seen one reference to a condensation trap - where does this go? In the attic? If so, where does the water run to - I can't get to the eaves :(

Thanks a lot,
Adam

History:
When we moved in to the house there was a mould problem in the attic. This seemed to be caused by two things: the bathroom extractor fan blowing directly in there and no ventillation at all in the attic itself. Due to the way the roof had been put on I could not get to the eaves to fit soffit vents (in fact, there don't seem to be soffits at all - only the facia is visible from outside). As a temporary solution I just disabled and sealed up the extractor fan. Needless to say, we ended up with damp air in the main part of the house instead.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the VersaTile looks good. I'm not sure about the type of tiles. I'll try and pick one up tomorrow anyway. I'm not sure from the webpage if I have to get the "pipe adaptor" too, in order to connect with a standard 100mm duct?

I have read I need to lag the duct, but haven't seen any 100mm duct lagging options - maybe I can just wrap loft insulation around it. OK, I've found a picture to help me understand the condensation trap siting! Unfortunately this is going to be really problematic - does anyone know of any possible alternatives?

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back