Bathroom wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a Victorian house circa 1863, 75% of our bathroom walls are insulated with 40mm insulated plasterboard. There is an area of the bathroom where the original wall remains unplastered and where the hot water tank is housed. I have insulated between the roof joists with PIR boards and sealed any gaps with expanding foam. I am wondering what the best course of action is regarding insulating the walls, the previous owners had their tiler tile straight onto the insulated plasterboard in the wet area of the bathroom so obviously removing the tiles will also pull some of the plaster away.

Would appreciate other peoples opinion on best course of action. I could repair the plasterboard having removed the tiles in the wet area or completely remove them and just tile onto the wall. The fact we have 25% unplastered means we have two different levels in the room, i.e. the insulated plasterboard is pushing the walls out by approx 50mm. I have read a lot about the (lack of) benefits of insulating a bathroom wall anyway so opinions would be very welcome. There is a decent radiator going into the room too so that will improve the heat in the room once the plastering and tiling is finished.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back