Bathroom Zone 1 lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Can anyone help me?

I currently want to replace a central rose type light in my bathroom. My house was built in 1999 and the wiring for the existing light is a standard live, neutral and earth that ends at that particular light.

I want to put in four IP44 50w halogen downlights (1 in shower, 2 over bath and 1 over sink) and run the power for them off the existing light which will be removed.

The instructions for the lights say I need a 30 ma RCD fitted. Is this a case of buying one, wiring it to the existing power supply from the existing light and then running cable to the four new lights?

Or am i over simplifying things?

I'm okay at DIY but a bit green when it comes to electrics and terminology so any idiot proof advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Glen

Sponsored Links
I want to put in four IP44 50w halogen downlights (1 in shower, 2 over bath and 1 over sink) and run the power for them off the existing light which will be removed.
Are you aware that this is notifiable work?

Is your existing light 200W? If not, have you not paused to wonder why you're installing a less effective lighting system?

The instructions for the lights say I need a 30 ma RCD fitted. Is this a case of buying one, wiring it to the existing power supply from the existing light and then running cable to the four new lights?
You could do it that way, but how/where would you physically install it?

I'm okay at DIY but a bit green when it comes to electrics and terminology so any idiot proof advice would be really appreciated.
My advice would be to not cut your teeth on this project - either get an electrician in or put it on hold until you aren't so green...

Thanks for your advice - have asked my electrician to do it!!! Saves me having to notify the authoritys and gives a bit of piece of mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back