bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm going to make a side panel for the bath, plus some coverings for the pipes behind the basin and toilet.

is ply the best kind of wood for this job? if so which kind?

any comments/tips etc would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert. But don't like ply myself.

I'd go for mdf (perhaps moisture resistant). With some beading to finish it off.

Alternatively, you could use tongue & grooved boards. Harder to instal (?) but looks good in the right bathroom.

Rich

Don't use mdf where it may get wet. Use exterior grade plywood (t&g would be ok as well).

A few years ago I made a bath panel for myself from a softwood frame with a veneered plywood panel. This has been wet a lot of times and still looks new. At the same time I made a small corner-shelf unit to go over the bath. I made this from veneered mdf offcuts thinking it wouldn't get too wet. I carefully sealed all the edges and then sprayed the unit with high quality laquer. After about a year the mdf started to swell causing the veneer to split and they now need replacing. The only way water could have got in is down the side of the screws holding the thing together.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back