Bathrooms again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Its seems that most comments regarding the location of an extractor fan in zone 2 and indeed zone 1 must be selv/12volts. Please correct me if I'm wrong here but my understanding is you can fit a 230volt ex/fan in zone 2 if its ipx4 or above and in zone 1 ipx5 if you cannot fit one in zone 2 or outside of zone 2. Isolator switches, heres another one, I've seen comments that these MUST be mounted outside the bathroom period!! if you mount one inside the bathroom, outside the zones ie above the 2.25 you are fully complying with the regs are you not??? at the end of the day a normal light pull switch is located in the same position is it not? It would be nice if someone made a IPX4 or above isolator switch but I dont know of any. Please let me stress that the above is assuming the installation complies with the 17th ed to start with. If you think I've got this wrong please please let me know, but please just dont say no your wrong, explain way. If I am wrong I think I'll give away my tools and stop testing now. Thanks

Sponsored Links
just found this guidance from AMDEA sorry cant post link have a look:
GUIDANCE ON THE USE OF APPLIANCES IN BATHROOMS AND SHOWER ROOMS, seem to back me up!

Sponsored Links
Thats where the IPX ratings are from????? please state where it says you cant use ipx 4-5 rated equipment in zones 1&2 at 230volts if protection is via 30>ma RCD.

*ALL EQUIPMENT MUST BE SUITABLE FOR ITS ENVIRONMENT and Manufacturer's Instructions followed.
Hi all, Its seems that most comments regarding the location of an extractor fan in zone 2 and indeed zone 1 must be selv/12volts.
Zone 1 - Certain exceptions for fixed current-using equipment including 'ventilation equipment' are allowed.* [701.55(v)]
Zone 2 - No restrictions on fixed current-using equipment other than * but only SELV switchgear (and shaver sockets) allowed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here but my understanding is you can fit a 230volt ex/fan in zone 2 if its ipx4 or above
Correct.*
and in zone 1 ipx5 if you cannot fit one in zone 2 or outside of zone 2.
In zones 1 and 2: IPX4. [701.512.2(ii)]
Isolator switches,
Not sure if you 'mean' isolator switches or just functional switches but in
Zones 1 and 2 - Only SELV
Outside zones - No restrictions apart from * but, as you say "Are there any?"
heres another one, I've seen comments that these MUST be mounted outside the bathroom period!! if you mount one inside the bathroom, outside the zones ie above the 2.25 you are fully complying with the regs are you not???
Yes.*
at the end of the day a normal light pull switch is located in the same position is it not?
Yes, because it's allowed.*
I'll give away my tools and stop testing now.
If you are testing you should have a BRB.

Thanks for that, nice reply, thought I was going mad :rolleyes: and was I reading the regs different to anyone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back