Bathrooms in loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like advice on how to build two bathrooms in the loft space. The rooms in the loft are built with 4x2 partition walls. The floor is 18mm plywood. In general I fit 15mm plasterboard to complete the rooms.

A general problem is that the walls are too high (approx 2.8-3.0m) and they flex/vibrate/shake a lot. I have added noggins every 600mm (vertically) and it is better, but has not stopped the rattles.

Each bathroom has a shower, toilet and sink/vanity unit. We are thinking of tiling the bathroom walls and the floors too. I am concerned that tiles on these walls will pop out due to the vibrations.

So I have two questions: first what is the best material to kit out the bathrooms with to stop leaks into downstairs? I was told to install marmox board on walls and floor, and I have bought some, but am not so sure (need to tape all joints etc).

Second question is, as the partition walls can vibrate quite a lot, should I take extra measures before tiling?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would like advice on how to build two bathrooms in the loft space. The rooms in the loft are built with 4x2 partition walls. The floor is 18mm plywood. In general I fit 15mm plasterboard to complete the rooms.

A general problem is that the walls are too high (approx 2.8-3.0m) and they flex/vibrate/shake a lot. I have added noggins every 600mm (vertically) and it is better, but has not stopped the rattles.

Each bathroom has a shower, toilet and sink/vanity unit. We are thinking of tiling the bathroom walls and the floors too. I am concerned that tiles on these walls will pop out due to the vibrations.

So I have two questions: first what is the best material to kit out the bathrooms with to stop leaks into downstairs? I was told to install marmox board on walls and floor, and I have bought some, but am not so sure (need to tape all joints etc).

Second question is, as the partition walls can vibrate quite a lot, should I take extra measures before tiling?

Thanks!
Have you constructed a compliant staircase and floor?

If the walls shake and vibrate tells you that they are built wrong and need redoing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back