Battery operated (flammable) gas detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing available for domestic/household use? (rather than a trade detector)

Not a Carbon Monoxide detector – I've got one of those (I also take if we go away and you cant trust foreign gas appliances etc)

Would prefer a battery operated one (pref one of those 5 or 10 year battery ones) that will sound if there's a gas leak.

I had a hand-held Honeywell one - which was alright - not particularly sensitive - but wanted one thats on all the time, in the kitchen.

Any pointers?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes detects in the same way as carbon monoxide. detects natural gas methane/propane and is battery operated.

Yes detects in the same way as carbon monoxide. detects natural gas methane/propane and is battery operated.

Cheers – do you have any makes/suppliers you know of?

(not one of these handheld ones – i mean one that permanantly on

EzSense-500x500.gif

Sponsored Links
Why don't you want a mains powered one?

Just because I'd mount it on the wall quite high up where it's not really noticeable and I'm fine with checking batteries weekly, also where I want it there's no power supply and I dont want loads of cables or to have to rig it up to the lighting rig like my smoke detectors

I've fitted a couple of Honeywell ones in commercial places but they were mains.

I'd imagine the domestic market is small and so mains is the way.
There may well be some battery powered ones

There are a few battery-powered ones on eBay, but you may as well nail a piece of cheese to the wall. Looks like mains is going to be the way to go

Why don't you want a mains powered one?

Just because I'd mount it on the wall quite high up where it's not really noticeable and I'm fine with checking batteries weekly, also where I want it there's no power supply and I dont want loads of cables or to have to rig it up to the ligh
There are a few battery-powered ones on eBay, but you may as well nail a piece of cheese to the wall. Looks like mains is going to be the way to go
You mean they're not as reliable? or getting outdated?

Do they just plug in to existing socket or need to be wired up to a circuit? cheers for your reply

The ones I fitted had about a 2m long cable (only bell wire) with plug/transformer on the end.

There is a small market for natural gas alarms because generally by the time an alarm would sound you would have smelt the gas.
About as usual as that beep to tell u your car door is open
Quite the opposite to carbon monoxide.

They are more likely to be fitted in commercial buildings with a shut off valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back