(spin-off) Diversity and cooking appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a spin-off from this thread . In relation to this spin-off topic, please respond in this thread and not the original.

It is also a very long message, about the 'spirit' of diversity guidance, so many might wish to ignore it!

I strongly suspect that you will not share my view, but I personally would be a little hesitant to apply diversity across all three appliances 'lumped together' - but would be more inclined to treat the combi-microwave separately. I'd be interested to hear your view on that.
You are just asking me to quote and calculate as per the regulations. That you disagree or have reservations doesn't really make a difference.
No, I am not asking you to 'quote and calculate per the regulations'. However, I do have 'reservations', in the sense of interpreting (particularly ‘the spirit of’) the limited available guidance on how we are meant to apply diversity to multiple cooking appliances, and was hoping for some views/insights from you about this.

'The regulations', per se, obviously don't help us at all, the only available guidance about diversity being that in the OSG (mine is still red, so apologies if Table numbers etc. have changed) - which is where we find the familiar "first 10A + 30% of the rest, plus 5A if there is a socket". In my red OSG, Table 1B, which relates to diversity when used to determine the current demand of a whole installation indicates that this diversity calculation should be applied to 'connected cooking appliances', which I take to mean 'all cooking appliances in the installation’. However, Table 1A, which relates to diversity when used to determine the current demand of a final circuit, gives that same diversity calculation, but for "household cooking appliance" (singular).

In the lack of any specific guidance from the OSG, what I’m talking about is the intention/’sprit’ of the meaning of ‘a household cooking appliance’ in this context. It’s obviously a bit difficult, because, as you have implied, a domestic ‘cooking facility’ can consist of anything from just one oven (with a gas hob) to a double oven plus a hob – with the components separate or combined. My (‘common sense’?) view of the spirit is that any such ‘cooking facility’ can reasonably be treated as ‘an appliance’, the totality of which (even if ‘separates’) can be a subjected to a standard diversity calculation.

However, if there is more than one such ‘facility’ (e.g. two oven+hob combinations, one on each side of the room), I’m not sure it’s in the spirit of things to apply diversity across the two (i.e. treat them as if they were one) – not the least because it is then quite possible that two people would use the two facilities simultaneously and independently. There’s obviously a big difference ... the first 6kW ‘cooker’ would have an after-diversity current demand of 14.8A, but the second (if lumped together with the first) only 7.8A. ... or, looked at in another way, the assessed demand of each would reduce (from 14.8A) to 11.3A if diversity were applied across the two.

I know it’s atypical, but my house has more than one kitchen. If I had 6kW cookers in two of them, and decided to supply them from the same circuit, do you think it would be reasonable to protect that circuit (and size the cable) with a 25A OPD, on the basis that diversity applied across the two of them would result in a current demand of only 22.6A, or would you apply diversity separately to the two (14.8A each, hence 29.6A total) and therefore use a 32A circuit? I personally don’t feel that the former approach is within the spirit of diversity, but you quite probably do. Indeed, as you’ve pointed out, if I applied diversity across all of them, I could theoretically have three 6kW cookers in different locations in the house and still supply them from a single 32A circuit (after-combined-diversity demand ~30.4A), even though, if subjected to diversity calculations separately, they would represent a total demand of 44.4A. What do you think?

When the second ‘facility’ is a combi-microwave, the situation is even less certain in my mind - although, as I implied, my inclination (in terms of my feeling about the spirit) is that it perhaps ought to be considered as a separate appliance (and therefore not lumped with the rest for diversity calcs) – my feeling being that the microwave is more likely to be used ‘independently’ from the rest of the facilities. If one had a 6kW cooker and a 3kW combi-microwave on separate circuits, there’s no doubt that the circuits concerned would have to be designed to be able to supply at least 14.8A and 10.9A respectively – a total minimum current requirement of 25.7A. If, without physically moving any of the appliances, one then moved them onto the same circuit, and regarded them as ‘one appliance’ for the purpose of diversity, the circuit would then only have to be able to supply 18.7A.

Although I understand the statistical basis, I’m not convinced that it is ‘reasonable’ (‘within the spirit of diversity’) to say that the group of appliances require (‘on average’) 7A less when connected to the same circuit than when supplied separately. That would require (statistically) that “7A’s worth” of highs and lows of the microwave demand would cancel with those of the rest of the cooking appliances – perhaps unlikely given that even the maximum load of the microwave is only 13A. Before you say it, I realise that one could use the same argument across the hob and (maybe two) oven(s) of a cooker, but it feels to me far more in the spirit of diversity to regard them (together) as ‘a single appliance’ (to which diversity can be applied) than it does if there are two separate ‘cookers’, or ‘a cooker’ and a combi-microwave.

I suppose one way of looking at what I’m saying about the ‘spirit’ is that the further one moves from having a single ‘cooker’ (be it a single product or a combination of ‘singles’), the more one moves in the direction of the non-residential category of the OSG, where diversity calculations become much less generous (100%+80%+60% of rest) – on that basis, a 6kW cooker plus a 3kW combi-microwave would have an after-diversity current demand of 36.4A, not the 22.6A in a residential environment, and three 6kW cookers would have an after-diversity demand of 62.4A, not 30.4A.

I imagine that you are going to disagree with most of the above and say that we should just ‘blindly’ follow the OSG guidance as regards diversity (despite its lack of ‘explanatory detail’), without any consideration for the actual situation and/or our personal perception of the ‘spirit’ of diversity – but I will nevertheless be interested to hear your view.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I can't be bothered to read all that (my failing, not yours), but I fail to see how if I took 2 ovens and a hob, some angle iron and a welder, OR took a hacksaw to a double-oven range cooker, the electrical loading characteristics would change in any way.

I think I agree with you, John....

I say think!!!

I would treat a hob and anything up to a double oven as equivalent to a freestanding cooker and as such, something you could apply diversity to.

But, more than that and you'd have to treat it as an individual appliance or start the diversity calculation off all over again.

Sorry - I can't be bothered to read all that (my failing, not yours), but I fail to see how if I took 2 ovens and a hob, some angle iron and a welder, OR took a hacksaw to a double-oven range cooker, the electrical loading characteristics would change in any way.
No need to apologise for not reading it all -I did suggest that most people wouldn't want to - but you clearlyread enough to get one of my points.

If you had read of of it, you will have seen that my feeling about the spirit of all this is such that 'a hob plus one or two ovens' all in one place (whether arrived at by purchase, welding or sawing) can reasonably be regarded as a single 'cooking facility/appliance' to which it is very reasonable to apply the usual diversity calculation - which, I presume, is based on assumptions about usage as well as the electrical characteristics of the components.

However, to take one of the more extreme examples I cited (which could arise in my house), if one had two 'cooking facilities' (on the same circuit) in different kitchens on different floors of my house, each consisting of one oven and a hob (and, potentially used by different people, possibly simultaneously), I do think that is very different, and I'm far less convinced that it is within the spirit of diversity to regard the total current demand of those two 'cooking facilities' as being the same as if it were a single 'double-oven, large hob' cooker in one location - the main issue being the very different possible (and possibly simultaneous) usage patterns. I realise that it's all 'statistical' but, as I said, the more one moves away from a single small cooker in the direction of ovens/hobs in totally different places, the more one is (IMO) moving towards the non-residential situation for which the OSG diversity calcuations are much less 'generous'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think I agree with you, John.... I say think!!! I would treat a hob and anything up to a double oven as equivalent to a freestanding cooker and as such, something you could apply diversity to. But, more than that and you'd have to treat it as an individual appliance or start the diversity calculation off all over again.
Thanks - I'm pleased to hear that someone regards my view as being at least worth consdiering! As I said, that does correspond with what I regard as a reasonable interpretion of 'the spirit' of diversity'.

As I also said, my (large) house could be a good case in point. I have kitchens on two floors, and actually a third, unused. 'kitchen remnant' on a third floor. If I had (which I don't) large electric cookers in all three of those, it would be streching my view of the 'spirit of diversity' to the extreme to put them all them on one 32A circuit (Zs and VD permitting :) ), even if the OSG's guidance might be interpreted as say that I could (if I applied diversity across all three).

Kind REgards, John

[...If I had (which I don't) large electric cookers in all three of those, it would be streching my view of the 'spirit of diversity' to the extreme to put them all them on one 32A circuit (Zs and VD permitting :) ), even if the OSG's guidance might be interpreted as say that I could (if I applied diversity across all three).
"VD permitting" is another interesting one. Do I take it that one has to undertake VD calculations (and satisfy the regs) in relation to the potential full load current of a cooking appliance, or can one calculate on the basis of the (potentially much smaller) 'after-diversity' current? If VD beyond the prescribed limits is perceived as a problem 'electrical common sense' would suggest that one should use the full load current.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps diversity is a concept which has been overtaken by the changes in which kitchens are used? It is quite common in a "normal" domestic situation for all appliances to be used to the full for a short time (microwave, grill, fan oven etc etc) as a meal is prepared from frozen or chilled components. Once upon a time a meal would take an hour to prepare and the oven would be cycling to keep a temperature over a long period and at some time the hobs would start to be used in a similar manner. Now the meal will be prepared in 15 minutes so the oven is heating whilst the hobs are being used and the other appliances. My brother recently had a new kitchen extension and the MCB tripped for exactly this reason as my SIL switched everything on at the same time.
Designing for the future, as opposed to meeting guidelines or standards, is impossible, but, whilst many rooms use less power for items such as TV or lighting as technology changes, it seems likely that many of the intensive users will continue to be found in the kitchen.

Perhaps diversity is a concept which has been overtaken by the changes in which kitchens are used? It is quite common in a "normal" domestic situation for all appliances to be used to the full for a short time (microwave, grill, fan oven etc etc) as a meal is prepared from frozen or chilled components. Once upon a time a meal would take an hour to prepare and the oven would be cycling to keep a temperature over a long period and at some time the hobs would start to be used in a similar manner. Now the meal will be prepared in 15 minutes so the oven is heating whilst the hobs are being used and the other appliances.
I think there's probably a lot of truth in that. I also suspect, but don't know for sure, that the diversity calculation we see in the OSG was created at a time when double-ovens and microwaves (and certainly induction hobs) were very rare or non-existant, and when a domestic kitchen would never have more than one 'cooker'.

As I wrote to BAS, I feel sure that 'usage patterns' are at least as important a factor in deciding what (if any) 'diversity allowance' is appropriate as are characteristics of the appliances (in terms of thermostat-mediated cycling etc.). All of this, of course, merely serves to reinforce the view I've expressed above.

Kind Regards, John

Without wading through the whole thread (apologies John) the main thing to remember is that there are two situations:

1) I have a such and such cable and MCB, and I want to change my cooking arrangements as follows...

2) I am designing a new kitchen and would like to know the best future proof wiring arrangement for my cookers.

In the first case you use whatever diversity argument you can to save ripping all the tiles off.

In the second case you put in the best you can to save problems in the future.

Without wading through the whole thread (apologies John) the main thing to remember is that there are two situations:
1) I have a such and such cable and MCB, and I want to change my cooking arrangements as follows...
2) I am designing a new kitchen and would like to know the best future proof wiring arrangement for my cookers.
In the first case you use whatever diversity argument you can to save ripping all the tiles off.
In the second case you put in the best you can to save problems in the future.
Well, yes - but in the case of (1), the "whatever diversity argument you can" needs to be at least arguably consistent/compliant with whatever regulations (or, in reality, merely 'guidances') which exist - hence my reason for engaging in this discussion about how the guidance (or, at least, the spirit of the guidance) should be interpreted.

The other thing about (1), of course, is that it's not just about 'producing a good argument' to justify what one wants to do. It's a bit of a pain if (as illustrated by viewer's brother), the result is that an MCB operates when one's better half turns all bits of the cooker on simultaneously to prepare a 'quick supper'!

Kind Regards, John

It's just that my impression is that the regs are phasing out the old usage of diversity for cookers by moving the information to the on-site guide, then watering down the language to be ambiguous. The main point used to be 'would the wires catch fire?'. Now it's more 'can we guarantee that under all statistically likely situations that the temperature of a cable will not rise by more than xxx?'.

Fuses would probably not blow readily as MCBs trip , so you could get away with more. I suspect that the H&S has hit wiring too (and maybe it should now that we can afford it) so that we are trying to take ambiguous diversity out of the equation.

My feeling is that if I were doing a new kitchen job (and I did recently) I would overkill on the cooker wiring, and not rely on diversity.

But I think your real question revolves around two things. One is that a manufacturer should specify some kind of diversity quotient to be used to do calculations. The other is whether the original '10A + ..' equation isn't bad when it comes to multiple cookers as it is clearly not additive. My solution would be for the vendor to specify a diversity quotient for each unit involved.

It's just that my impression is that the regs are phasing out the old usage of diversity for cookers by moving the information to the on-site guide, then watering down the language to be ambiguous. The main point used to be 'would the wires catch fire?'. Now it's more 'can we guarantee that under all statistically likely situations that the temperature of a cable will not rise by more than xxx?'.
I'm not sure that's actually got anything to do with diversity, has it? Whatever criterion we/they choose to apply to cable protection ('catch on fire' or 'xxx temp rise") satisfying that is achieved by having the appropriate cable/OPD combination. If one makes 'diversity allowances' inappropriately, then the OPD will operate but, provided it was 'correct' for the cable CSA, the cable will be protected per current day criteria.
Fuses would probably not blow readily as MCBs trip , so you could get away with more.
As above, I'm not sure that it's really any different, unless you are thinking of very brief periods of very high current demand. As above, the fuse rating would have to be appropriate to protect the cable.
My feeling is that if I were doing a new kitchen job (and I did recently) I would overkill on the cooker wiring, and not rely on diversity.
I certainly agree that the less one relies on diversity, the better - particularly since, as viewer pointed out, usage patterns have probably changed such as to make the 'traditional' (10A+30%) diversity calculation inappropriate.
But I think your real question revolves around two things. One is that a manufacturer should specify some kind of diversity quotient to be used to do calculations.
As I've said previously, I'm not sure that this is necessarily possible/appropriate, since so much of the diversity concept is usage dependent. I suppose they might be able to quote a 'worst case' figure, with everything turned on and turned up full for long periods - but that might produce an answer which somewhat 'disappoints' many people! However, as I've been discussing, the problem with that scenario is that the initial current is probably going to be approaching the 'full load' figure (and hence quite probably operate an OPD rated on the basis of diversity) if everything is turned on ('full') simultaneously from cold.
The other is whether the original '10A + ..' equation isn't bad when it comes to multiple cookers as it is clearly not additive. My solution would be for the vendor to specify a diversity quotient for each unit involved.
I think, but am not sure, that you may be saying the same as I did in the OP - that I don't think that, even if it is reasonable for a single cooker (and I'm not even convinced of that), it is sensible/reasonable to apply that 'standard' diversity calculation across two or more appliances (lumped together for the diversity calc) which are 'obvioulsy' "separate cookers".

Kind Regards, John

Don't forget that the thread was about a perfectly normal domestic kitchen.
Also, remember that the cable already installed (6mm²) is very likely adequate for all needs.
It is there as a throw-back to BS3036 30A fuses.

So, all that is being said is that the 32A MCB is to low.
Well increase it if you have to to 40A or 45A - method C installed cable, of course, which it will be or else it would have been to small for the 30A fuse.

If you think that 40A or 45A is too small for your cooking appliances (commercial and separate kitchen red-herrings apart) then perhaps you are eating too much.

The next cable size up is, as you know, 10mm² therefore you are proposing the same arrangements for your cooker as sub-mains supplying very many good sized flats not to mention houses with 60A cut-outs, albeit with 16mm² tails.

Back to the original kitchen island which lead to all this because of a combi-microwave in addition to a normal built-in oven and hob.
It has been graciously admitted that the oven and hob would be satisfactory on the circuit (32A/6mm² (although we have been given no ratings)).
Even if already at the limit (which it isn't) do you not think the additional microwave demand could be safely added with an increase from 32A to 40A MCB?

When applying diversity to something like an oven we need to know the mark - space ratio. The oven is not drawing current all the time it is switched on but switches on and off. The same applies to hob, fridge, and freezer. Even the washer does not heat water for long where as the tumble drier may draw power for an extended time.

Returning to the oven I noted mine a stand alone unit will run the top elements at the same time as other elements but my mothers built in has a time share system were when top and fan heat are selected together it switches between the two.

So taking 200 degs as a common heat how long before the oven starts to switch on and off and how often will it need to switch on and off in order to maintain the heat.

If we look at a stand alone unit I will take the Belling FSE 60i as an example and we look at the technical data it is rated approx 50A yet the manufacturer asks for a 32A supply clearly they have realised it will be unlikely to draw full current.

I do see a problem in that some one going to prepare a meal will likely also sort washing and use those appliances at the same time. But in real terms the OSG is rather lacking as it does not separate washing machine and tumble drier and the latter uses power for a lot longer so although both likely rated at 2.2kW the diversity with a tumble drier will be a lot lower than a washing machine.

Don't forget that the thread was about a perfectly normal domestic kitchen. Also, remember that the cable already installed (6mm²) is very likely adequate for all needs. So, all that is being said is that the 32A MCB is to low. Well increase it if you have to to 40A or 45A - method C installed cable, of course, which it will be or else it would have been to small for the 30A fuse.
Yes, in terms of what was being discussed in that thread, that is all correct, and not disputed. I started this new thread because I think there are more general issues....

Those who apply 'standard' OSG diversity calcs to, say, a cooker plus a combi-microwave ('combined' for diversity calc) might theoretically end up not even designing a 32A/4mm² circuit, but possibly a 20A/2.5mm² one - or even (just, with method C) a 20A/1.5mm² one (Zs and VD permitting!).

Call me daft, over-cautious or whatever, but the idea of having, say, 9kW of cooking appliances (say 6kW cooker plus 3kW combi-microwave, total after {'combined'} diversity of 18.7A) fed by 1.5mm² cable just doesn't cause me to feel very comfortable - but, unless I've got it wrong, that would be OK per one (probably the common) interpretation of the OSG. Am I being stupid to feel uncomfortable at such a prospect?

Just to clarify the context, I raised this issue only because you suggested that the combi-microwave could/should be fed from the cooker circuit (so that the number of isolators could be reduced to one) and I commented that such would be 'unusual'. I said that because microwaves are most commonly standalone and plugged into a socket (and not usually the one of a cooker control unit!) Also, in terms of the concept of lumping it together with the hob/oven(s) for a diversity calc., my thought was that a microwave is rather different from 'part of the cooker', and it quite likely to operate at close to full power for significant periods (regardless of what hobs and ovens were doing at the time), rather than the '30% of full power' that would be 'allowed for' it if it were added to the other cooking appliances in a diversity calculation.
Even if already at the limit (which it isn't) do you not think the additional microwave demand could be safely added with an increase from 32A to 40A MCB?
Of course, in the case we were discussing in that thread. If we stick to the hypothesised 6kw hob/oven and 3kW combi-micro, that's only about 39A without any diversity, so I could hardly complain about a 40A MCB (as above, with 'OSG diversity', a 20A MCB would be OK!)! Even with an appreciably bigger oven than that, hence 'a bit of diversity', I have no doubt that 40A (with the existing 6mm² - 4mm² doesn't quite make it!) would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back