electric oven & hob allowing for diversity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was working with an electrician with 30 years experience today. We came across a cooker switch which was fed from the cu with 6mm t&e.
From the switch there was a 2.5 t&e to the 5kw electric oven and a 6mm t&e to the 6kw electric hob. By my calculation there would be a total of 48 amps but with diversity this is reduced to 21 amps so the 6mm should be fine. He told the customer that the 2.5mm needed to be replaced with 6mm or fused down and I am not sure this is correct. If you apply diversity to each individual cable coming out of the switch then the 2.5mm and 6mm will be ok. Am I correct in this assumption or is he correct? BTW this electrician is ALWAYS right so I just agree with him at the time then try and get the correct answer from here.

Sponsored Links
There is a 40amp mcb at the cu. From there, a 6mm cable goes to a cooker switch. From the cooker switch there is a 6mm to the hob and a and 2.5mm to the oven.

Sponsored Links
IMO the diversity rules for cookers are a bit on the low side.

When you are cooking Christmas dinner for the family you will have all rings and ovens going, possibly all turned on from cold at about the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back