Electric Hob Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a electric hob (input 5500W) which my electrician has connected to the cooker switch using a 6mm T+E cable.

My question is the installation guide states is should be "connected using 3 x 6mm / 3 x 2.5mm" and that "for this connection a power lead of wire type H05VV-F should be used".

Having googled the wire type its some sort of flex cable. Is the electrician right to use a 6mm T+E?

My configuration is a 6mm T+E from consumer unit(40A breaker) to the cooker isolation switch, then another 6mm T+E from isolation switch to the hob.
Is this correct or should the electrician have used a 2.5mm flex from the hob to the cooker isolation switch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cookers, yes. Hobs, no. Always follow the instructions. Too many sparks are not using H05/H07 when they should be. No excuses, wholesalers stock it these days.

There's more chance of a cable from a cooker being in contact/near a hot surface than a hob. In fact the maximum operating temperature of H05VV-F is the same a twin & earth (70°C).

I'd have no problem with using T&E although most hobs come with a cable ready attached.

Sponsored Links
Can it be guaranteed that the terminals will work as well with T&E as they do with fine-wire flex?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back