Battery packs, replacing batteries?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cheap radio (JingTong JT-208), however worked well for a good few years, until last year it would only receive, pushing PTT it would turn off and on again as the battery voltage dropped.

So hunted for replacement battery on internet, but non found, except USA it said on battery case NiCad and the charger was very cheap I would feel radio and once battery hot would assume charged, there was no cut off once recharged.

So decided to break the casing apart and see if I could replace the cells, once exposed rather surprised to see marked AAA NiMh and internet hunt and it seems I can buy a pack of 6 ready connected together designed for toys around £8.10 with postage and 700 mAh instead of 600 mAh. Some up to 2000 mAh from RS but price jumps to £22.

This
7.2V-NiMH-1500mAh-Battery-Fits-Intermec-066111-001.-Replaces-IRT001BL.jpg
would be best format, no need to solder each cell, what ever needs to be with solder tags.

However the question is the charger,
jingtong-2s.jpg
paying out £6 for a battery OK if it's wrecked not really a problem, but with more expensive versions it is more of a problem. Remember whole radio was around £30 new, with an new duel band version now down to £24 maybe best place is the bin?

However goes against the grain to dump a good radio just because battery has failed.

What I need is a local model shop I suppose where I can pick up batteries and be sure they will fit in case, Wrexham area.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've re-celled packs a few times over the years, how hard it is depends on several factors.
First off, you need to be able to get the right size cells - there are quite a few uncommon sized (such as 2/3 AA and the like).
Then there's the matter of how much space is available. The original pack will use straps spot welded to the cells and so adding very little to the cell length. If you get tagged cells, then by the time you've soldered them together they will be a little longer and might be a tight squeeze in the case.
But if you are reasonably handy with side cutters and soldering iron, it's not generally too hard to do. But you must buy tagged cells as you can't solder directly to the cells.
Make a note of how everything is arranged as you take it apart - in particular the cell connections and any extra components such as thermal switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back