Battery Problems or something more complex??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem:

Car has been running fine and starting fine, however one morning - put the key into the ignition and everything on the dash lights up, radio comes on etc, then turn the key to fire the engine and the whole electric system dies.

The positive connection on the battery was slightly corroded and this has been cleaned up but the problem still occurred. It does appear that fiddling with the positive connection does sometimes have an affect, but is this just coincidental??

I have thought that maybe it is the connection, but this doesn't explain why the dash initially lights up, but dies when the stater motor requires power.

Do you think it's a case of buying a new battery, or does it sound like something else?

Sponsored Links
it sounds as if the connection is still bad at the battery,make sure everything is clean and tight on both connections,the starter requires a very high current which cannot be delivered if the contacts are bad

First a tip on removing and replacing car batteries.

Rule: Removal: Remove the negative lead first [Black] then the positive.
Rule: Replace: Replace the positive lead first then the negative lead.

Why? Have you seen the flash emit from a shorted out battery?
you'll soon know if you disconnect the positive first and the spanner slips and touches earth/car body if negative is still connected.

You'll get the same effect if you re-connect the negative lead fist then the positive lead and short in if the spanner slips. A bl..y big flash.
No I don't think you're and idiot but I seen many do it.

disconnect both leads clean them up and apply vaseline [petroleum jelly]
to terminals. As you say you fiddle with the positive lead it sometimes works then check the terminal post of the battery isn't loose if it is it means a new battery.

Batteries are un-predictable working one minute and the next don't so it could be one or two cell plates have buckled and or collapsed but still giving lights to dashboard. Borrow, beg but don't steal a battery and see if you get same symptoms. if so then check the starter is not jammed on the flywheel ring by placing the car in 2nd and roll it back and forth if it goes easy and you don't hear a clonk then it is sure the starter hasn't jammed.

Others could be the alternator or ignition switch.
I say this because ' I've been there and done that ' having had over 20 vehicles up until now old but good and roadworthy. Now treated myself to a very expensive Peugeot 10k to work on cars nowdays you need a degree in engineering and electronics. I looked under my bonnet and said ch...t and shut it.

You don't say how old the battery is; or if you can see the acid level inside. These are two important clues.

My superhuman powers tell me it's a Toyota MR2 2.0 GT (Mk II) 1992. If you're on the original battery, bin it and buy a new one.

First work on the connections/terminals as described (cleaned and refitted tight). You can wash off any crust with hot water.

Then see what happens when you turn the headlamps on.

Can you start it with jump leads?

These days it's more likely a flat and knackered battery than anything else.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said, "My superhuman powers tell me it's a Toyota MR2 2.0 GT (Mk II) 1992. If you're on the original battery, bin it and buy a new one."

If that car's on it's original battery, I'll chew my c*ck off.

Ours was intermitant and with all the modern cars ( yuk) sensors can play a big part.

At times it could be jumped and then not it would work for days then not start.

If your battery is losing charge then better off changing it.

We tested it over a week as a battery is an exspensive item if it didnt resolve the problem.

Get your self a multi meter check the car each morning before you start it and each evening after you've finished using it ( with engine off)

12.5 reading is ok but by the time we had tested for a week the battery had lowered to 9.5

So we brought a hunky 4x4 battery as have plenty of stereo going in and and now its running nicely and Halfords have 20% off at the moment

OJ

How are you starting the car when it fails to start, push starting it or jump leads.
Coz if it starts with jump leads that rules out your starter or solenoid, and then the first place to check would be battery or loose terminals.

I reckon its a duff battery and needs replacing.

The easiest way to tell if the battery is duff, take it to a garage and get them to put it on a battery drop test.

If that's the name of a high-sided van, on which I could proclaim my enviable ability to 'self-congratulate', then I yes. :D

Old bangers, with blown heads and lots of clonking. no wonder you all have flat batteries. :LOL:

I would try cleaning up all the battery terminals, and chassis earths and the positive at the starter.
What frequently happens is there is enough current to run your dash lights etc, until you crank the engine which requires a lot more current then the dirty connection arc's and sparks and loses its connection completely.
Get someone to push and pull on the wires at the starter motor while you crank the engine.

P.S MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN A SAFE POSITION !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back