Batton around the bath question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just a query about fitting a bath tub.

Does/ should a steel bath have a batton around the wall on which the bath should rest on?

I'm fitting a steel bath and not sure what best practice is.
Three of the edges are butted up against the wall.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
only button under the bath legs to spread load . where did you get that info from ?

Just something that came up in conversation.

I've seen a frame made on the outside where the panel is affixed to.
But wasn't sure if putting a batton around the other edges was normal practice.

I was told it helps prevent the silicone seal from breaking

I always batton all the way round.

Mind you I hate bathroom work, and do everything I can to prevent call backs,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
fill up bath with water then silicon round edge , i hate doing bathrooms as well . been quite a few years putting a steel bath in thou

Batons on the wall are usually used to support fglass/acrylic as they flex a lot more with use. A steel bath will flex a lot less and doesn't really need the extra support though it will take some of the weight off the floor, just secure it to the wall well and as AGAS mentions, fill to the brim with water when applying the seal. Silicone can burst when bath is full, it shifts and the seal is pulled on. If feet are small then a block of 22mm timber under each one to spread the load.
A frame on the front elevation is normally only needed for the front panelling on a steel tub

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back