Bauknecht Washing Machine Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice as to what could be the cause of a problem with my trusty 18-year old Bauknecht WA838 washing machine. (Having replaced the main bearings a few months ago at a cost of 100 quid I'm a bit reluctant to scrap it if a repair is at all possible.)

It has developed a 'stutter' during the wash cycle. By that I mean the drum rotates OK but it sounds as if the power to the motor is being interrupted intermittently. This happens when the drum is rotates clockwise or anticlockwise.

However, once the spin cycle begins the problem goes away. Even when the machine perform some short slowish speed rotations to redistribute the load.

My first thoughts were that the carbon brushes were to blame and I contacted Whirlpool for some replacements. Unfortunately, they were unable to find a part number and wondered if they had ever been available. They suggested I try to find some 'universal' brushes instead. Hmmm.

On closer examination of the motor, it is by no means obvious how one would get at the brushes, and they are not visible from the outside. Could this be some sort of brushless motor ? Someone suggested it might be a Shaded-Pole type, but I thought these were only used in lower power applications.

Another thought as to a possible cause of the problem is the clutch mechanism since this would be more like to slip at the slower speeds than during the spin cycle. Visibly the mechanism looks OK, the pads still have some lining material on them and they seem able to move freely within their hub assembly so there's no obvious reason to suspect them.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on here and how I can fix it ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
:cry: good luck I understand your reluctance to part with it, but a washing m/c that is 18 years old has done well, time to put it to pasture.

also being 18 years old i doubt you will get exact parts for it. I used to work for a w/m company i have never heard of a front loader with a clutch (top loaders yes) but that doesn't mean to say they don't exist (and since you have one) so, no punn intended i will have to throw in the towel on this one (and the sheets, pillow cases , socks etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back