baumatic bt2750 oven problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this cooker was bought second hand a few months back but only just fitted as we had to wait untill our kitchen was re-wired.

Its gas hob, electric oven.

The small oven is giving us problems. When you turn it on the pre heat light doesnt always turn on. The top element seems to warm up a tiny bit, bottom element does nothing. I can leave it set to about 150 max, turn it up any higher and it trips the main RCD (brand new board, all checked out as good).

Cant even turn the knob far enough to reach the seperate top/bottom/grill functions.

Im wondering if anyone could hazard a guess as to what might be the problem, one or both of the elements, the thermostat, selector switch or what.
Or, any advice on how to test each part and how to go about taking it apart to remove these parts.

My gut feeling is its in the control system somewhere as the pre-heat light isnt staying on (blips on when you turn the oven on so bulb works)

Im sure, 2 days ago when we connected it up for the first time, i ran through all functions and im sure this oven all worked and both elements started to warm up.
Im also sure my wife has managed to get it to the grill setting, and starting to warm, before its tripped.

If so, then the problem seems to be getting worse.

The oven hasnt been used for a few months, but its been in our warm dry living room for a while now.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is a visual check of the wiring, switches, elements etc. If there is no visible fault you can then try disconnecting the elements one at a time to see if it still trips. Obviously you need the power off at the cooker switch when touching anything and you need to make sure any disconnected wires can't touch each other or any metalwork. Checking the elements can be done by elimination but if it is the thermostat you can't just disconnect it. The thermostat is the part with a probe / capillary tube going to the actual rotary control which normally has 2 terminals. To eliminate the thermostat you need to remove both of its wires and connect them together. If there is also a switch on the front or back of the thermostat you need to make sure the knob is set to a typical temperature, say 180 degrees. With it set up like that, turn on the cooker switch and see if the small oven heats up or the trip operates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back