Baxi 105 APS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with the boiler above (fan / flue fault) and while everyone here has offered really good and appreciated advice which goes along the same lines as the fault checking in the user manual the person I have had take a look at the boiler has said that he wouldn't expect the problem to be caused by the APS because they either work or don't and my fault is intermitant for a while and if I turn the boiler off for a while (no electric) I can get a day or so before the fault re-appears.

Can I ask can a fault with the APS be intermittent or do they just die?

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
FFS you have been told for nearly a week now that the first thing to check with your original problem was the APS or the venturi .
They are 11 quid, is that too much to spend to disregard this and chance being freezing over xmas . you have about 6 hours tomorrow to get the part.
We are remotely diagnosing your fault, but by experience these are your 2 likely causes and yes APS can be intermitent and its not unusual.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate people taking time out to help with someone elses problem, I know that the advice that was initially offered is the same however I was told that the APS either work or don't and that they are not intermitent, this was the point that I was trying to clarify.

Unfortunately I do not have the benefit of experience, so i'm at the mercy of other people and when I was told by someone who is trained that they either work or don't it introduces an element of doubt. My post was just to ask for clarification and a second opinion.

Thank you again for your time and your advice.

The point is i take it that it was the same person who also told you it was the PCB and fitted thatwhich never solved it and they are £92.
But the diagnostic lights on baxi`s are usually pretty spot on so when it says fan pressure switch faulty the first port of call is to clean out the venturi and check tubes are clear even a little bit of sh#te will stop them sendin correct pressure to APS which can be very intermittent at times.
As i say diagnosing this remotely and it may turn out not to be that but 95% of the time it is.

Sponsored Links
I think that there is a little talking at cross purposes here.

A Honeywell APS is very reliable and they are not usually intermittent. Their failure mode is usually dirty contacts on the microswitch and that can give intermittent operation but thats rare.

The fan and venturi present a pressure to the APS and if that pressure is low then the operation of the APS will be highly intermittent. Cleaning the fan and ventrui and MEASURING the pressure presented to the APS is the correct procedure before deciding that the APS itself is faulty, they rarely are!

Tony

Showing your short coming in product knowledge tony the air pressure switches on baxi 80/105 e and HE are starting to go know and thats exactly what they are doing working intermittently before packin in all together .
And you need to get out more if you think APS rarely go.

The fan flued combi I went to this afternoon did not even have an APS !

Tony

No premix have them!

The boiler which I want to was NOT a premix!

Conventional burner, fan flue, no APS !

Tony

Gloworm swift flow / some apollo`s never had them , fan permenantly on slow to clear pilot products and step up speed through the board when main gas comes on.

It was a G-W Swiftflow 80 and a rather annoying visit too!

I had previously ben there a couple of years ago and did him a favour by resoldering a faulty joint on the pcb.

This time he had been a little economical with the truth!

The pump was sluggish due to sludge, the o/h stat failed and the PCB failed!

I lost interest when he mentioned he had already called a second rate PCB repairer!

A Christmas Eve favour turned out to be a waste of time visit to a dodgey customer! I did not charge anything as I had not fixed anything!

Tony

Just been to one .
symptons for past week the boiler has been going to fan/flue fault neon but would reset finally would not reset last night so text message to me.
£9.45 plus vat and 15 minutes and its all fixed.
Have noticed with the past few that have failed even if suck on tube to make the switch and you can here the click the switch will still not bring the boiler on

This is a little late but thank you to everyone who offered advice, after changing the APS and venturi (£21.05) the boiler has now worked for two weeks without any problem.

While I was told by the guy that initially came to fix the fault that the APS either work or don't mine was intermittent and then stopped working all together, as decribed here.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back