baxi 105e c/h temp sensor replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to replace the central heating temperature sensor in my baxi combi 105e instant boiler.

Will I need to drain the boiler first or can the replacement be done without draining it.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
No and Yes It is dry pocket ,smear the sensor end with heat sink paste.

Thanks Baxmax but I'm not a plumber so I'm a bit confused. Am I right to think that 'No' I don't have to drain the system but 'Yes' I should use the heat sink paste?

I've never heard of this paste. Is its job to ensure a good contact, or what? What happens if I don't use the paste?

No drain down required and the heat sensing paste has conducting properties which allows the sensor to detect temp rise and fall accurately and is essential.Can be purchased in small tubes from heating merchants.No need to overtighten the sensor.

Sponsored Links
Will I need to drain the boiler first ...................NO It Is Dry Pocket

or can the replacement be done without draining it.................YES

Heat sink paste is self explanitory Simples......

thanks to both Baxmax and 45yearsagasman. i have now replaced the temperature sensor. i hope that solves at least one of the problems i have with my boiler. bloody baxi crap.

A well maintained 105e is actually a good boiler IMO and you haven't said why you are replacing the sensor.

I have had my boiler for about 5 years. I have had to have the seals connecting the internal pipeworks to the primary heat exchanger replaced (both the large and very narrow pipes). I have had to have the mechanism above the diverter valve replaced (I can't remember its name). the washers on the connections of pipework at the (nearly inaccessible) rear of the boiler have recently had to be replaced. the pressure release valve has, it seems, been slowly leaking from the time the boiler was installed - I only realised recently when it began to leak so freely that an icicle formed at the end of the pipe in the cold weather. after I replaced the prv (with help from the good people of diynot) the unexplained pressure drops stopped. I have just replaced the c/h temp sensor because the 80degree light kept flashing. and my plumber has told me that the diverter valve needs replacing. I should say that my present plumber is not the one that installed the boiler.

I don't get a chance to have the boiler serviced - I'm too busy (and skint) getting the broken bits fixed.

so yes, bloody crap is the politest phrase I can think of. but maybe I've just got a 'bad apple'. what do other people think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back