baxi 105e trouble with hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for the last month my hot water is not getting hot enough you don't need to put any cold water in. we have a service contract with British gas the engineer came out asked for the manual for the boiler to see if he could find the problem after one hour he came to the conclusion that the boiler and radiators need flushing out at the cost off £695 PLUS VAT something i have noticed hot water tends to be hotter when central heating has been .can anybody offer any advice or the possible fault thank you

Sponsored Links
Not sure if its true but I've heard BG installers earn commission from flushing jobs, so make your own conclusion why he advised this.

something i have noticed hot water tends to be hotter when central heating has been

I don't know your boiler, but this symptom makes me suspect the diverter valve. A way to test for this is to switch the heating off and let it all go cold. Then run a hot tap, and see if the flow pipe from the boiler gets hot. This will be one of the larger pipes. If the flow pipe heats up then the diverter valve isn't working properly.

O RITE MATE ITS RIZCHILL :) ID JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT THERE IS A LOOP HOLE ROUND THIS DEPENDING ON HOW OLD YOUR BOILER IS AND HOW LONG U WANNA WAIT WITH THIS PROBLEM AND THAT IS RING DOMESTIC GENERAL AND FORK OUT ABOUT £150-£200 FOR A PLATINUM COVER WHICH INCLUDES FULL SERVICE ANNUAL, COMPLETE RADIATOR CHECK, PARTS, LABOUR THE WHOLE LOT.
RINGEM UP AND SAY ID LIKE TO INSURE THE BOILER AND RADIATORS AND CALL THEM AFTER A MONTH BUT DONT TELL THEM THAT THERE IS PROBLEM WITH IT SO NOW U CUD DO THE MATHS EITHER SPEND £700 0R WAIT A MONTH AND SPEND £200 OR LESS AND ALSO GET ANOTHER 11 MONTHS SERVICE.

POST UR COMMENTS BAK ITS NOT A BAD ADVICE THATS WHAT MANY PEOPLE DO TRUST ME!

Sponsored Links
i take it your central heating is fine? HW problem could be a number of things, a faulty HW thermistor, dirty plate to plate heat exchanger or incorrect burner pressure.......or diverter valve passing to Ch....best get a registered engineer to look at it...it certainly won`t cost u 600 quid to fix!! or 200 for that matter......

did the BG engineer show you any evidence of dirt/sludge in system, if, as I suspect, he didn't get them back for a second opinion and ask for a different engineer.
I would be suspecting your diverter valve, as mention by Mogget,is not working properly.

From BG diagnosis I 'd go for blocked plate heat.

Apparently around £30

Should take no more than ½hr to replace

B gas engineer did leave a pieces of litmus paper showing dirty water . he did say if we use b gas to do flushing of systems there all so change heat plate at the same time can someone give advices on were plate is on bolier
tyou

i posted this topic back in January since them ive been on holiday, ive checked out what reply moggat had left about leaving central heating off and running hot water and checking 22mm pipes coming from boiler, what i found was hot water pipe was hot and so was central pipe and radiator nearest to boiler was getting hot as well, ive rang british gas to arrange for another engineer to come out and explain to me the fault with my boiler as i was not hear the time off the first visit , has any body got any more info i could hit these with. i dont intend paying 700 pound to have system flush out and this might not cure problem

SIMPLE .iF when hot water only is on and the rads start to get hot you have a stuck divertor valve allowing heat to enter into the rad circuit and robbing the HW which is why yours is look warm.
They may still claim its caused by muck and needs flushing

had bristish gas engineer out today, i inform him about radiators getting hot when hot water is running. he change some seals on valve divertor he,s coming back on Monday to heat exchanging, hot water already hotter than before his visit, so things looking better as the last engineer said it needs flushing at a cost off 700 pound then we change parts if required

I am not one to usually comment about BG as the BG guys on here are the good ones, but it must be most disheartening for the good BG guys on here to be tarnished with the never ending supply of bad stories from those in BG who do not know what they are doing/can't be bothered, or most probably listen to the management about sales targets too much :rolleyes:

the lad what came out today must off been no more than 21
one of the good guys explain every thing he did
thanks to him im saving 700 pound up to now on flushing it out
what is the going rate for flushing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back