Baxi 105HE leaking when heating is on and losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've a Baxi 105HE Instant and it's been losing pressure (slowly) for a while, I found that it was dripping slightly from the flexi hose on the bottom, so tightened this all up and assumed the pressure drop had been down to this.

But, on Sunday, it started to pour water out of it while the heating was on, I turned it all off, and popped the cover off just to see where the water was coming from.

It was dripping from the top right of the boiler, where two pipes connect, the secondary heat exchanger I believe? And also, from the pipe that ends in a rectangular end into the left hand side of the combustion chamber.

So, I'm assuming dead secondary heat exchanger and the water coming from the side of the combustion changer was a side effect of the exchanger dumping water into the system?

Not touching it myself, got a plumber coming, but just thought I'd check here to see if my thoughts were correct.

If they are, I assume symptoms like this are going to be down to the Secondary HE having failed, and not just the o-rings? So I'm sadly looking at a reasonable bill.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like the primary heat exchanger - the secondary one is at the bottom of the boiler. Call Baxi out to it - they'd do a fixed price repair with a one year guarantee

Sounds more like the primary heat exchanger - the secondary one is at the bottom of the boiler. Call Baxi out to it - they'd do a fixed price repair with a one year guarantee

Do they usually come out pretty quickly? My usual guy is booked to come this afternoon anyway

Generally next day. They're good for big repairs as they often work out cheaper

Sponsored Links
Generally next day. They're good for big repairs as they often work out cheaper

Yep, booked for tomorrow, just over £300 for a 12 month protection plan, which is about what I was expecting to have to pay my usual guy anyway. So thanks for the advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back