Baxi 24 HE - replacement PCB faulty / boiler wont fire??

I am always happy to repair a boiler when the owner has tried and failed.

One boiler was virtually a heap of parts on the floor left by a boiler engineer.

Later, I had a trainee with me and was telling him about it and he said that he had been with the engineer who had "lost it" and gave up!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I didn't trust him at all, no.

He diagnosed a faulty air pressure switch and replaced that for a cost of £85 and when it turned out not to be that he asked for £230 for a replacement pcb inc labour.

Having a quick look could see that he was charging £100 for swapping over the PCB, and around £60 for the aps.

I have another plumber out on Tuesday next week with a replacement pcb from the next town (we live in a smallish town in Scotland), who was recommended by a friend, and he has quoted £155 for the replacement, but said that if the pcb wasn't faulty then he would put the original back in and diagnose himself.

I think that I will just sign up for a BG Homecare policy after this, but it's amazing how quickly one can be be put off a whole trade by a single tradesman.

well wait till you have BG homecare and then you will know what changing parts is all about, bet you didnt know that you need a power flush

A quick update.

The other plumber (engineer) turned up late this afternoon and replaced the PCB, but the boiler still wouldn't fire. On a positive note, the fan/flue light came on, just like on the original PCB. He said that ruled out the PCB and he checked the APS pipes and fan, saying the APS installed by the other plumber was the wrong one (5113280). He's reinstalled the original PCB, switched off the boiler and removed the APS to check against one at the supplier. He tested the APS with a multimeter and said it was functioning fine.

My boiler is a Baxi System 24HE (it has a Megalo cylinder attached). He took a look at the manual and said that he needs to get part number 248466, but this has been replaced by a different part number for a new design and his computer said it was part number 5137530 which is needed. Unfortunately, the supplier was out of stock but ordering one in for Thursday as it was too late to get one for tomorrow.

This guy has got my confidence, so fingers crossed we will be up and running on Thursday.....

Sponsored Links
As i said back on page 1 APS needs to be thecorrect one and correct orientation
Basic fault finding

Even with a fixed price repair by Baxi or Brit Gas it would have been working ages ago.

Is it really worth trying to save a small amount by using inadequate engineers and DIY attempts to fix with cheap bits bought on Ebay?

Tony

Hi guys, the engineer couldn't get out yesterday, but came first thing today with another APS and 20 minutes later the boiler was up and running. Turned out the first guy was useless afterall!

I'm delighted to have discovered someone who knows what he's doing! Despite having to make a couple of visits and sort out the other guy's mess, this engineer charged me £65 and that included servicing the boiler and resetting pressures which were out.

I'm a very happy customer and will definitely be spreading the word about this guy locally!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back