baxi 551 back boiler problems

I agree with bazdaman.

I'd advise you to get a second opinion. Why has he had to increase the pilot? If he had any doubts about the gas valve, he should have raised these before he left the job, not second guessing afterwards when he thought everthing was ok.

James.

He serviced a BBU & left it in working order. No one can tell to what extent the explosive ignition was, we were not there.

True we were not there, so his 'service' may not be what I call a service. One thing he hasn't done is repaired a fault (something I class as different to a service). Someone on here must think that explosive ignition is a sign of the appliance functioning safely.

James.

Granted Jaz & it's a good point. But we're only hearing the OPs take on events. So perhaps it's not so wise to jump to any conclusions based on that.
Remember, there's only cowboys Builders/Plumbers in the public's eyes. Open forums can only feed the fire of that misconception!!

Sponsored Links
and finished up by increasing the pilot flame.

What does that mean Richardthe3rd?

Please show me some respect that I deserve by at least spelling my name correctly. I may forget to stop my computer from auto-correcting your name to what Steelmasons and many others on here aptly name you. ;)

What do you mean by young pup?

A note to Damon, there is a closed forum on here called the Combustion Chamber for registered gas safe engineers. I believe that Richardthe3rd has attempted to join but has failed, bearing in mind that the requirement to enter is a gas safe registration number.

James.

C'mon Richturd, can you keep up please and answer a couple of straightforward questions?

James.

Please show me some respect that I deserve by at least spelling my name correctly. I may forget to stop my computer from auto-correcting your name to what Steelmasons and many others on here aptly name you. ;)

A note to Damon, there is a closed forum on here called the Combustion Chamber for registered gas safe engineers. I believe that Richardthe3rd has attempted to join but has failed, bearing in mind that the requirement to enter is a gas safe registration number.

James.

Sorry mate I missed that, however the OP can't tell for sure he increased the pilot. He may have, he may not have??

Jaz is shortened name for James & in no way is it disrespectful.
As I've pointed out numerous times, I'm a RGI that was voted out of the combustion chamber pot democratically & fairly.
Call me Richardtheturd if you like, water of a duck's back mate. I'm from Glasga, I don't have a sensitive side...... :LOL:

James.

He may have, he may not have??

Well that's it then, in your opinion, the OP doesn't know what the guy did, so in your way of thinking this thread is pointless.

I must have missed where you were explaining the reasoning for calling me a young pup?

I've heard of Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo, Jimbob but never Jaz, even amongst my Scottish friends. So I'll stick with James thank you very much.

James.

Sponsored Links
Every thread turns into a slanging match nowadays no wonder people don't bother to post at all anymore. 3 people said get a new engineer 1 said dont, that is our OPINION the OP can do with that info what he likes , bit ching does not help the OP

Every thread turns into a slanging match nowadays no wonder people don't bother to post at all anymore. 3 people said get a new engineer 1 said dont, that is our OPINION the OP can do with that info what he likes , bit ching does not help the OP

Agreed, apologies as it's so easily to get drawn in.

James.

to be fair i actually agree with richardthe3rd. guys done a service that would require checks. might of done a let by test on the gas valve for all we aware off. needless to say had a 551 on lpg that didint see the light of day on softlite, was quite interesting, but it didnt always do it ;) £150 to change the gas valve is reasonable, especially the prices i sometimes get quoted for a v4600.

Hi thanks for the replies but didn't mean to cause any arguments just wanted advice on the next course of action whether it's worth letting the guy do the work or perhaps getting someone else in. For the record he definitely increased the pilot flame as I was speaking to him while he was adjusting the screw but at no time did I see him put a meter on to check that the valve was delivering the right amount of gas to the combustion chamber. He has left paperwork will have a read tomorrow when I get in from work.

Sorry for confusion Damon

He could of gas rating instead of taking a burner pressure so no gauge needed at boiler side of things, get the boiler repaired by him or someone else 150 is good price and if i where you i would keep the boiler as long as you can.

James.

He may have, he may not have??

Well that's it then, in your opinion, the OP doesn't know what the guy did, so in your way of thinking this thread is pointless.

I must have missed where you were explaining the reasoning for calling me a young pup?

I've heard of Jim, Jimmy, Jimbo, Jimbob but never Jaz, even amongst my Scottish friends. So I'll stick with James thank you very much.

James.

No problem Jaz.....Eh sorry James.

Yes, a pearl of wisdom from someone that started the debate by calling me a 'clown'.
Nice one Chris.......... :LOL: ;)

Chris can I please ask, do you work for BG?

Hi thanks for the replies but didn't mean to cause any arguments just wanted advice on the next course of action whether it's worth letting the guy do the work or perhaps getting someone else in. For the record he definitely increased the pilot flame as I was speaking to him while he was adjusting the screw but at no time did I see him put a meter on to check that the valve was delivering the right amount of gas to the combustion chamber. He has left paperwork will have a read tomorrow when I get in from work.

Sorry for confusion Damon

Don't be sorry Damon, unfortunately according to the British media we are all cowboys & not to be trusted. However the Bankers that got us into the biggest recession in 100 years are all Saints!! Go figure??!!!

It's not an argument by the way, it's a debate & varying views are expressed. With the young guns thinking they know it all, but what's new eh??

Talking of young guns; I'm amazed with companies like BG that are only employing Middle Class kids now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back