Baxi 70/4 pf gas Boiler still working replace or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advise needed.

I have a Baxi 70/4 pf gas Boiler, 21 years old and still working.Should I replace it with a new modern heat only bioiler or not?

The boiler serves 10 radiators and supplies hot water. Over the years its had new flue fans, control box, and thermocouplings. All fitted by a gas safe engineer.
The predicament is the gas consumption seems high. How do you calculate and compare gas consumption between old boilers and new?

My house and water gets heated very well with the old baxi, but will I benifit with a new boiler and do the efficiency claims of new boiler makers really stand up.

Many thanks PTJ

Sponsored Links
Yours is a good boiler and worth keeping ,the only down side is spares are getting expensive with the fan being around 150 quid now.
Heat exchangers are built proof so chance of it leaking are very slim

You will save money on gas used but not the claimed 30% that people will tell you .
One thing to remember is when people say a condensing boiler is 90% efficient this figure is not a constant and does drop to low to mid 80`s .
So if you work on a 10/15 % saving on gas work this out on the possible 2 to 3 k changeover cost and decide whether it benefits you financially.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back