Baxi Solo WM 50/4 PF - Worth replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Baxi Solo WM 50/4 PF boiler installed at home at present. I think its around twenty years old and, although running fine, I'm wondering if its worth replacing with something more efficient?

I've tried to look up the efficiency rating for this boiler but have had no joy - I presume this is because its so old. Anyone know if its any good?

Thanks

Jamie

Sponsored Links
its ran for 20 years with no problems (you havent said there have been)

spend your money on cleaning system,upgrading trvs and stats, and a relianle RGI to service and check set up

Good point - I've never had any problems.

Just wondering if i could be p*****g money away on gas if its inefficient? As i said, I can't find any info on it?

the boiler will not be as efficient as a newer boiler

but you can use the heat your boiler produces more efficiently

as stated, clean system, fit trvs, upgrade cylinder stats and valves,inc upgrade to fully pumped, insulate loft and walls etc etc

Sponsored Links
OP - Depending on the state of your boiler i would estimate it's efficiency at between 50-70%.

Modern high efficiency boilers are over 90%+ efficient (band A). So for every pound of gas spent on a he boiler you loose 10p (approx....they don't run at max efficiency all the while) your boiler 30-50p.....you do the math.

I would suggest that the cost of wall insulation alone would cost more than a new boiler.....

wall insulation £135 :rolleyes:

price of new a rated boiler plus flue £700 ish

weather compensator plus outside sensor £120 ish

powerflush £350 ish

upgrade gas supply to boiler and install and commision £1000 ish

keep the baxi and upgrade system

as stated, clean system, fit trvs, upgrade cylinder stats and valves,inc upgrade to fully pumped, insulate loft and walls etc etc

Should be the standard reply to most questions of this kind.

Save money by using the existing system more efficiently, you can still use the improvements when you finally do have to change the boiler ;)

I'd be giving serious thought to an upgrade on the boiler, burners are a common fault and obsolete on these and I would imagine other crucial parts won't be too far behind.

"wall insulation £135" that price is based on some sort of grant funding.

no grant at all, that is all you pay . Can now be had for as low as £99 for a standard semi.

Ollski how many burners have you ever fitted on these and what is the common fault

yes, a modern boiler does use less gas than an old one.

the saving in gas each year will probably be about 5% to 10% p.a. of the cost of the new boiler and controls and installation :eek:

so it will pay for itself in ten to twenty years

Not much of a bargain is it?

Get a new boiler when you need one, not in the hope that the savings will outweigh the cost.

Ollski how many burners have you ever fitted on these and what is the common fault

Normally about 3 or 4 a year nams although for the past couple of years they have been ID and replaced. They just suffer from corrosion which causes incomplete combustion, usually on the right hand side of the burner which is a buger to see through that teeny window.

the saving in gas each year will probably be about 5% to 10% p.a. of the cost of the new boiler and controls and installation :eek:

Get a new boiler when you need one, not in the hope that the savings will outweigh the cost.
Which, given the quoted life of a new boiler as being down to 7 years now, its a no brainer, innit

Which, given the quoted life of a new boiler as being down to 7 years now, its a no brainer, innit

might be if you believed the 7 year boiler hype. cant say im a believer myself.

what you probably will find is an increase in parts changed over the new boilers lifetime compared to the old one.

might be if you believed the 7 year boiler hype. cant say im a believer myself.

what you probably will find is an increase in parts changed over the new boilers lifetime compared to the old one.

You might have misunderstood me - I'm in the keep it going club

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back