BAXI 80 Eco trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
My Baxi 80 eco (15 years old) has worked like a dream forever until now and 2 gas safe engineers cant fault find it. They have actually just left me with it not functioning correctly. Great!

Heres wants happening...

They diagnosed it was possibly the Temperature Sensor.. So we put a new one on then......The Temeperature Sensor will only work if it isn't put back into the Flow Pipe. When it is 'out' the boiler works perfectly. Once it gets put back in then the boiler doesn't work. After boiler has been running CH and HW with the Temperature Sensor out it does eventually turn off again (safety cut out I expect). Then if I press red reset button on Safety Thermostat then it works again and so on...

Please can someone suggest whats going on? I cant continue to reset it all the time and its not right not having the Temperature Sensor in its correct place (in the flow pipe)

The boiler functions perfectly when its running so I am sick of people just saying you need a new boiler!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Explain what actually happens when the temperature sensor is fitted? Your description is vague at best, currently you are just cooking the boiler upto overheat temps.

These boilers are simple things to repair.

The boiler is in a rented house. I am visiting it at 10am so will get more info..... sorry for the vagueness so far!!!

Hi... so the boiler has been working fine all night and today! Ive looked internally and the old thermista is currently in the flow pipe but isn't wired in and then the new one is wired in but hanging over some other wires. I haven't tried it with the new wired thermista in the flow pipe as I couldn't work out how to out it in... I have an engineer coming out tomorrow who can hopefully work out whats going on... unless you have any suggestions petit-Pablo?

Sponsored Links
So..................... the gas safe engineer thinks its the Primary Heat exchanger! It might be full of gunk preventing it from working....Its been flushed with a chemical tonight... if that doenst work then we will try a new heat exchanger.. I will post with more news when I get it

technically what has been done is against the law the sensor is a safety device and by it not being were it should be you have disconnected a safety device

I'd have checked the return filter before replacing the boiler...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back