Baxi 80e Combi Boiler Woes

Sponsored Links
With a boiler at room temperature the typical boiler thermistor is about 10 k.

They virtually never fail to follow their correct curve.

But a common fault is to go open circuit when they get hot!

Tony

The thermistor I quoted temperature / resistance values for is the TDK B57891M0102+000 ( 1009 T/R curve )

Data sheet at

http://en.tdk.eu/inf/50/db/ntc_13/NTC_Leaded_disks_M891.pdf

The thermistors used in boiler temperature sensors are almost certainly going to be lower cost devices, most likely with a steeper T/R curve to simplify the electronics but at the cost of reduced accuracy in the temeperature measurement.

Clearly information is erroneous as someone relying on what you post would automatically assume you are correct and end up changing components that may well be fine. Those values you quote will certainly make boiler work in like never intended and function erroneously too.

The thermistor I quoted temperature / resistance values for is the TDK B57891M0102+000 ( 1009 T/R curve )

Data sheet at

http://en.tdk.eu/inf/50/db/ntc_13/NTC_Leaded_disks_M891.pdf

The thermistors used in boiler temperature sensors are almost certainly going to be lower cost devices, most likely with a steeper T/R curve to simplify the electronics but at the cost of reduced accuracy in the temeperature measurement.

Clearly information is erroneous as someone relying on what you post would automatically assume you are correct and end up changing components that may well be fine. Those values you quote will certainly make boiler work in like never intended and function erroneously too.

Sponsored Links
Clearly information is erroneous as someone relying on what you post would automatically assume you are correct and end up changing components that may well be fine.

I guess you missed this comment I made "" The thermistors used in boiler temperature sensors are almost certainly going to be lower cost devices, most likely with a steeper T/R curve ""
To say the thermistor is good if the measured resistance is anywhere between 1 KΩ and 30 KΩ is not good advice. It implies that any thermistor that was, irrespective of the temperature, between 1 KΩ and 30 KΩ would allow the boiler to accurately sense temperature.

The resistance of the thermistor on one type of Baxi is quoted as 680Ω at 80°C and on a different model it is 1.5KΩ at 80°C .Each type of boiler has it's own type of thermistor.

Two different themistors and both would pass your 1KΩ to 30KΩ at room temperature, one would fail if the temperature wa about 80°C

But put the wrong type into a boiler and then when the water was close to boilng point the PCB would be getting from the thermistor a resistance that suggested the water was about 80°C

Bernard I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The specific sensor we are talking about on the baxi 80e operates from 0.9 - 30kohms between 0 -100 degrees. If the thermistor stays between this range and the boiler faults with the 'dhw thermistor fault' error code the the pcb or harness are faulty, if the resistance falls outside this range then obviously thermistor itself is faulty. I haven't bothered quoting specific resistances and temperatures through the curve as the op almost certainly wont have surface temperature probes but may have a multimeter.

Is that to me or to DP

Google is one of several ways to find manufacturer's documentation about their equipment. Another of my sourced is a mailing list of experienced and qualified engineers covering a wide range of industries.

As to DP's method of testing a thermo couple temperature sensor...... Even Baxi provide a value for their temperature sensor at "cold" in the public domain information they produce.

Primary temperature sensor faulty.
Cold resistance approx. 11K ohms
(resistance reduces with increase in temp.)

Bernard I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
The point I am making, an I am surprised that I have to make it to "qualified engineers" is that the test has to verfy that not only is the themistor present and not open circuit but that it is still within specification ( and not the wrong type ).

As in my last post manufacturers do provide values for the thermistors at "cold" temperatures and this value should be used to verify that the thermistor is within specification at "cold" temperatures. It is still chancing that the thermistor is accurate at higher temperatures.

Yet you put information up about a totally unrelated product.

Take your morning meds before you do something even more senile and hurt yourself.

As to DP's method of testing a thermo couple temperature sensor...... Even Baxi provide a value for their temperature sensor at "cold" in the public domain information they produce.

Primary temperature sensor faulty.
Cold resistance approx. 11K ohms
(resistance reduces with increase in temp.)

That's at room temperature (21 degrees), the operating range which the pcb can expect to see is 0.9(100degrees) - 30kohms(0 degrees), if the range stays within that the fault will not be generated by the pcb unless the pcb is faulty. What do other random thermistor readings have to do with anything? (fortunately primary and dhw have the same exact readings and curve on this model)

Last edited:
Bernard, what has thermocouple got to do with thermistors.
Clearly information you glean from public domain is not making sense to you as not only are you quoting wring value, you are also confused if you think thermocouple can provide resistances you quoted in your post

He is only a bored old retired person who seems to enjoy posting totally irrelevant information.

Rather annoying for the professionals here who try to give correct and focussed advice!

Perhaps one day the site owner here will realise that its tine to ban him.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back