Baxi 80e, h/w alternates between hot/cold - H/E or diverter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem that I'd like to get some advice on and some professional help to fix.

The hot water on my Baxi 80e alternates between hot and cold. Boiler is 9 yrs old and problems started after some rads were removed and put back on. I'm in a hard water area, though water in the rads was very clean - even remarked on by our plumber. I checked a lot of threads and they all say it is a furry heat exchanger, though, when an engineer checked it out, the CH pipe got hot (h/w pipe was lukewarm) and he couldn't tell whether it was the H/E or diverter valve. He said it wasn't the diaphragm. I couldn't find a thread that mentioned this.

He quoted approx 700 quid to replace H/E and diverter, though I only want to replace the defective part. How to check whether it's the H/E or diverter valve that's faulty? There must be a better way than trial and error, ie install a new component then seeing what happens.

And, for 700 quid to fix a boiler, would I be better off getting a new one? I didn't get a quote on that. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
700!!

If when you call for hw your flow pipe on the rads side starts to heat up then it's the diverter valve.

If it doesn't and the boiler cycles on off constantly then it's likely to be a sludged/scaled plate heat ex

If i changed both (about 150) then it's an hours work, maybe 2 if acces is awkward. Call labour 100-150.

300 tops

Tell him to F off, the divertor is £65 PLUS VAT and the heat ex is £35 PLUS VAT.
So even loading the parts they should not even be near 200.
The heat exchanger takes 5 mins to fit and the divertor a max of an hour.

A new 105he that would fit onto your existing jig would only cost £605 including vat

He is taking the pish saying 700

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back