Baxi 80HE Plus Timer not activating CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a baxi 80he plus and the timer stopped working one day.. have replaced this with a new one, can hear it ticking and clicking when it hits one of the pegs to turn on the heating but the heating does not fire.

Heating does not fire with timer when switched to the (I) on position...

Only way to turn heating on and off is to press the summer/winter switch (when winter is depressed the heating comes on) - when its pressed again to pop out into summer mode the heating goes off.

Everything else is working fine on the boiler, hot water firing as expected etc... I recently replaced the flow switch as this was leaking but the timer issue was before this.

Have read around and some people mentioning the CH diverter valve diaphragm... could this be the issue?

many thanks

andy

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have a baxi 80he plus and the timer stopped working one day.. have replaced this with a new one, can hear it ticking and clicking when it hits one of the pegs to turn on the heating but the heating does not fire.

Heating does not fire with timer when switched to the (I) on position...

Only way to turn heating on and off is to press the summer/winter switch (when winter is depressed the heating comes on) - when its pressed again to pop out into summer mode the heating goes off.

Everything else is working fine on the boiler, hot water firing as expected etc... I recently replaced the flow switch as this was leaking but the timer issue was before this.

Have read around and some people mentioning the CH diverter valve diaphragm... could this be the issue?

many thanks

andy

Your heating WILL NEVER work in Summer mode as this is hot water only!!!

I guess this means that the CH is on all the time regardless of the timer settings... does this still point at the diaphragm do you think?

andy

I guess this means that the CH is on all the time regardless of the timer settings... does this still point at the diaphragm do you think?

andy

NO

Summer mode as you put it means the boiler will only fire up when there is a demand for Hot Water IE you can turn every TRV up to 5 the room stat to 30 and have the Central Heating Side of your clock set for 24/7 and you will still only get Hot Water, yet if you turn it to winter mode you will get Central Heating just as you described so NOTHING is WRONG, summer is for Water only as you dont need central heating and winter is for both as you need central heating!!!!
Or have i read your original post wrong????

In short if the boiler is in summer mode you can pray to any God you want but your only getting Hot Water , but in Winter mode you need not pray as the boiler gods will grant you both.

Your boiler is working as it should and NOTHING needs changing except your understanding of Combis and their operation!!!!

Sponsored Links
I've explained it a bit rubbish. Basically when the boiler is in winter mode the central heating is on all the time regardless of if the grasslin timer is set to off. Timed or constant. The only way to knock it off is to stick it into summer mode. Hope that explains a bit better

Andy

I've explained it a bit rubbish. Basically when the boiler is in winter mode the central heating is on all the time regardless of if the grasslin timer is set to off. Timed or constant. The only way to knock it off is to stick it into summer mode. Hope that explains a bit better

Andy

This i would then presume means the timer is at fault and is not an internal fault as if it was a divertor prob this would still happen in summer mode

thanks for the prompt reply, this is the second timer now and the fault still remains that the CH is always on, is there anything else it could be?

cheers

andy

thanks for the prompt reply, this is the second timer now and the fault still remains that the CH is always on, is there anything else it could be?

cheers

andy

You say this is the second timer, has this happened from install, from when you moved in the property or is it just something you woke upto one day?

Woke up one day and the Central Heating was on all the time and the timer had no effect - only way to knock it off was to power off boiler or knock it into summer mode.. so replaced timer with a new one and this is doing exactly the same - central heating on all the time...

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back