Baxi 836 combi control query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a Baxi 836 combi fitted and the call for heat for the boiler is from the grey and orange closing contacts from all the zone valves. Even though on a multimeter they are showing open circuit and short circuit when there isn't and is a call for heat respectively, the boiler continues to fire even when there isn't demand. If I disconnect the wire it stops.

It's currently working with the valves held open and the call for heat taken straight off the time clock just so we can have heat after three days without!

I'm wondering whether I need to fit a relay between the zone valves and the boiler or route a 230v live through the orange and greys back to the boiler to cure the problem. Clearly it can work with a dry closing contact but the manual also says it will work with switched 230v as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I have; he seemed to think that it should work as wired, but doesn't normally do anything more than connecting to a wireless stat. If any more than that is required he gets an electrician in.

Sponsored Links
To anyone that might want to know in the future, I wired a 230v relay via the orange and grey contacts on the zone valves and then took a clean closing contact off the relay to the boiler, and this worked perfectly. There isn't a dry volt free closing contact on the boiler, it's just two contacts, 230v present on one, which when shorted to the other fires the boiler. There must be some spurious voltage being picked up somewhere, enough to trick the boiler into thinking it needs to fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back