Baxi back-boiler question

have to agree. 1 hour max for a 552/401, 40-50 mins for an inset version. they are tedious but if the customer lets you get on you can strip the boiler quickly.

Sponsored Links
The one that makes me laugh with newbies(for want of a better word) is back boiler sooted up , they go out to it clean the fire and it is gleaming flames still pouring out the back and they say you better phone the gasb board there is something up with your pressure.. OH and by the way thats 75 quid.

And thats where the 2 of you show your inexperience

We're now actually allocated 1hr for bbus that's arriving on site to driving off again. Just about do it in that time. Including full strip and clean and smoke, spillage and vent checks.

7 years ago before Heateam it was 45mins per appliance so 1.5hrs
I've been working on Baxi bbus for over 20 years so I think I have a little experience!

One further question gents, I have checked that my boiler model is compatible with the new firefront, is there anything further I need to know before I order it. I think i need to know what type of flue I have, how do I find that out or do I need a fitter in to survey fire / boiler etc then tell me? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
one quick check you can do, make sure the flames are bunsen blue, any hint of yellow and your a dead man-sooner or later.
(lie down and look up under the fire when boiler is worjking for this one, don't singe your hair though). It's amazing that anyone would want to chuck money at such an old appliance, but it's your money and your choice.

Thanks for your tip. It's due its annual service this month anyway so I'll ask them to do the work for me. It may be old but until it breaks I can't see any point in replacing it. For the cost I doubt I'd see any savings for many years. It would be hard to replace it with anything but another back boiler.

Finally, I'm getting wallpapering done, currently the wall is papered behind the firefront. Is it possible to have the fireplace removed and nothing on the wall whilst it is papered then having the new one fitted? If I totally shutdown the boiler what would the safety implications be? Would a registered fitter be allowed to do that? Forgive my ignorance....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back