Baxi back-boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I've got a Baxi back-boiler (model: Bermuda 401) with a quite dated wooden fire front. To update my living room I want a new fire front, but am I tied to the ones that are compatible with the boiler. Is there any way to block off the boiler and get a wall-mounted electric fire fitted? Is it possible and legal? All work would be done by corgi registered engineers, not by myself. The boiler works fine and I don't have anywhere else in the house to put a new boiler without major work so I don't want to have to replace it.

Once again, thanks, and any input is appreciated!

David

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies but I have a few questions to put to you. Firstly, can you please explain why the firefront is a required part for the boiler to operate, and secondly, why are back boilers 'dodgy'? Sorry for having to ask but I know nothing about central heating systems and boilers. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is tested and type approved for safety with the manufactures firefront connected. Operating it any other way could prove unsafe and is not permitted.

Provided back boilers are installed exactly as per the regulations and are properly serviced annually they generally remain safe.

However very very few are installed correctly (incorrect ventillation etc) and servicing even if done is not always done correctly. Being open flued dust and fibres are continuously sucked off the floor/carpet often leading to poor ccombustion and heat exchanger blockage. Eventually the combustion producrts can fill the room and you have a long sleep. :(

In general there has been a shift away from open flued appliances since they are responsible for the majority of carbon monoxide incidents. I always resomend a correctly installed carbon monoxide alarm (SF Detection) along with a correctly installed and serviced back boiler.

Back boilers are not dodgy providing they are serviced regularly as in every 12 months ,just some people are scared of them.

A back boiler fire is deemed as one appliance and has been designed to work with both parts being attached , regards flue performance and air changes in the room . By removing the fire you are changing it design and this can affect flue performance, leading to a probable dangerous situation and if you block it with an electric fire /grill/cover etc this will definetly lead to a dangerous situation

nothing really wrong with a well serviced back boiler with the correct ventilation and a COD in the room. its only seen as "dodgy because its open flue. having said that i hate them because i got bored of servicing them after my 1000th service on one.

the fire front is required for safe operation of the boiler....there would be an even bigger gaping hole in the front if it was removed.

Personally I love the old BBU, nice and simple and easy to service Luvverly in this day and age

as the lads have said the back boiler needs the fire front to complete the fluing arrangements of the appliance

without it you die, its that simple :)

Thanks for your help! I'll be getting a replacement firefront from Baxi that is compatible with my boiler. Hopefully then that will keep everything alright. Just a final question, when someone fits a new firefront, what sort of things do they check? Just the fire or the boiler or both? Would a fitter fit a replacement firefront from the boiler manufacturer?

Yes it is a straight forward job, but fires are expensive for what they aRE

Back boilers are not dodgy providing they are serviced regularly as in every 12 months ,just some people are scared of them.

A back boiler fire is deemed as one appliance and has been designed to work with both parts being attached , regards flue performance and air changes in the room . By removing the fire you are changing it design and this can affect flue performance, leading to a probable dangerous situation and if you block it with an electric fire /grill/cover etc this will definetly lead to a dangerous situation

Well said.

Why are so many engineers scared of an open flued appliance?

I now service approx 300 bbu's, a year but obviously numbers are reducing as customers are upgrading their heating systems.
I spend on average, 2 hours on a back boiler and fire for a full service which usually involves a new pilot injector, t/lead and the extensive flue and ventilation checks.

Dave

I spend on average, 2 hours on a back boiler and fire for a full service which usually involves a new pilot injector, t/lead and the extensive flue and ventilation checks.

Excellent!

I think 1½ hours minimum to do the job correctly.

If the household has pets this may need to be done on a biannual basis.

Still amazed at the number of installations with no or in adequate ventilation provided.

And thats where the 2 of you show your inexperience we used to have 6000 baxi 552 on contract and used to do ten a day every day for months . Far less than an hour..properlyno telegan sh#te. Why would you have to change pilot injector takes 2 mins to remove and clean. Awkward ones where the ones with it built into pilot tube.

Back boilers and open flued appliances certainly show up those who have recently come into the game . you are far too scared of these or is it your own ability you are scared off. Done properly and proper checks carried out , there is nothing to be scared off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back