Baxi Back boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a fairly old baxi back boiler (about 15 yrs), and for various reasons such as building works due to start in a couple of years where the whole system will be replaced, we don't want to change the boilers and radiaters just yet. In the mean time I was thinking about getting a new timer/programmer to try and better utilise the heating system - it's currently really expensive and wasting a lot of energy.

Would anyone know if we could get ANY Programmer/Timer to fit, or would there be complications because this is a special type of boiler?? One would presume it's basically just an mechanism to tell the boiler to switch on/off......?? :?:

Thanks
Kath

Sponsored Links
Depends how it's plumbed/controlled. Do you have any motorised valves? What's the current controller?

Oh dear, I have no idea! :( Sorry.
I guess not having a clue about this sort of thing renders me helpless!! I presume that it does have montorised valves as there is a controller on there at the moment - it's just not very good and very old fashioned.
Kath

Back boilers are considerably inefficient by nature.

Added to which you must have permanent ventilation in the room for safety so there is a draft.

Many were piped up with simple control large 1 inch or 28mm diameter pipe for hot water, which relied on gravity to circulate, and a crude time control maybe room thermostat which turns on a pump so that water flows round radiators for heating.

Impossible to have heating without hot water, many times bathroom rad is included in hot water circuit so gets hot in summer.

Hot water cylinder (you may call this a boiler, but it isn't) usually of very old type with external jacket or none at all, also very ineficient.

No solution but to alter much of pipework, new boiler in new location, thermostatic radiator valves, new bs1566 hot water cylinder, full time and temperature control of heating and hot water.

Major job.

Wouldn't complete building work without includinh heating work as part of the process.

Sponsored Links
Actually, just looking at some Programmers on the web and recognised the name Honeywell...I think our contraller is a Honeywell. Does that help. (obviously I am not at home right now so can't go and look! ;) )

Kath

Thanks Paul.
Yeah, we know that it is bad on the efficiency ratings, like you say, we'd need to have the whole system including pipes ripped out and start again from fresh which is going to cost big bucks...and like you say, there's no pioint doing it now until we get the building works done as the boiler thing has to come out of the Chimney Breast.

Hmm...maybe not such an easy one to solve right now(?)

Thanks!

It's really not that much of a major job to remove a BBU, the hardest part is finding someone who will rip it out & do the building work as well. Most fitters will steer clear of making good the opening to accept a fire ( usually referred to as a form standard opening ) but most fire companies will do this for you when they fit a fire for you, at extra cost of course.
Go for the new heating system & start saving money now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back