Baxi Bermuda 552 - Varying Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 and has been chugging along for a number for years; no problem. Just out of the blue, varying problems presented themselves (last two days) and I am not sure if they are all related. I hope you can shed some light?

1. My thermostat is set at around the 2½ mark.
2. The timer is configured for 4am for both the CH and HW.
3. This runs for two hours.

Before the problems started, the timer would kick in and I would hear the motor start-up. I would also hear water sounds through the pipes. The boiler would fire up and it all would work just fine. What’s happening now is when the timer kicks in; the boiler doesn’t appear to fire up immediately and only after a minute or two will it do so. When it does, there are normally two or three loud “bangs” in the pipes followed by the sound of rushing water, sounding like a high powered blowtorch!

Also I can hear a huge “whoosh!” in the attic where the tanks are located. To be honest, the sounds are so loud I am sure I am waking the neighbours that I have switched everything off. I started typing this at 3.45am!

The boiler will switch off for a few 30-40 seconds, and then switch on again. This will be followed again by a number of bangs, very prominent sound of gushing water and then various other bangs here and there; not as loud. This can go on for a ½ hour and none of the pipes or radiators will get warm. The sounds of the water almost indicate a massive pressure problem and it is quite nerve-wracking.

If I increase the thermostat setting to 5 or high, it seems to then start warming the pipes and radiators but the boiler is forever switching off and on; and a lot more noise is heard. I certainly can’t leave it like that and have disabled the system until a more socially acceptable time to test.

I guess it sounds like a thermostat problem (?) but functionality appears to be intact. Also what about all these other banging noises and “whooshing” sounds? Is that a sudden pressure problem? Sometime I think the pipes are going to burst out of the walls!

I have noticed that the overflow pipe from the tanks (?) is dripping more frequently? My last service was just over a year ago and I need to book one in the next few weeks.

Hope somebody can shed some light?

Thanks, Jack

Sponsored Links
I think you've got either pump or boiler stat problem, or both. If I were you I'd get an engineer out and have the service done at the same time.

It could also be that you have a partial blockage in the cold feed from the header tank to the system. If you have a Magnet, place it on the ' H ' connection between the cold feed and vent pipe. The magnet should not stick to Copper pipe. If it sticks, it's because your system has Manganite and Iron oxides in it. Water will find its least line of resistance and go up the vent pipe into the header tank. Normally, cutting out and renewing the ' H ' section ( and flushing ) will cure your problems.
See FAQ 's No.8 Pumping over.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Reckon I will book that service and refer to details mentioned. You reckon I should just keep it off now and resort to kettles of hot water and small heaters?

Sponsored Links
I advise you to leave it turned off until it's sorted, you may cause more damage by using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back