Baxi Bermuda Inset 2 Back Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upon switching the hot water and central heating switch to the on position, our back boiler kicks in and seems to be building up pressure for a couple of seconds before a flame licks out of the top of the boiler (behind the fire) and the boiler starts heating up the water. Ive never noticed this flame before and it has me slightly worried. It is due for its annual service. There has always been a build up 'noise' when we click it on and every so often whilst its on for a while with the 'whummppp' noise (Burner i assume...) that seems to start the heating up of water. It is during this 'whummppp' noise that i see the flame lick out the top! Any ideas? Cheers in advance. Matt

Sponsored Links
This has got all the indications of a wind up. If not, then I apologise, but never the less, you are an idiot to keep using it. I wanted to say a lot more than this, but it would not be published. Get the effing thing checked out before it kills someone.

Cheers Pete for the bluntness. It is switched off awaiting an engineer! Just thought i would pose the question to see if it could be a dodgy part (gas valve etc) that could be fixed or if we were looking at a more major problem.

Well it's all relative I suppose.

Would you class death via CO poisoning as a major problem?

Sponsored Links
It's Lilly to be a blocked main heat exchanger, a good service would sort this bit expect any engineer worth his salt to want £100 to strip and clean this, also just before he comes expect him to tell you your air vent is under sized, because it likely will be!

And that of course is on top. No cheap fix with this.

Didn't mean to be rude, but so many wind up posts are like yours. Anyway get it serviced and all should be well. :oops:

Completely forgot to resolve this post. Got it serviced and all is fine! Many thanks for your help.

However, since we moved into this house last year the only way to get the CH on is to also have the HW switch on as well. We have potterton controls with no room thermostat. The pump comes on when I switch the CH on but the boiler doesn't fire up. When I switch the HW on the boiler fires up. Is this likely to be a dodgy Potterton control switch or a faulty divertor valve?

However, since we moved into this house last year the only way to get the CH on is to also have the HW switch on as well. We have potterton controls with no room thermostat. The pump comes on when I switch the CH on but the boiler doesn't fire up. When I switch the HW on the boiler fires up. Is this likely to be a dodgy Potterton control switch or a faulty divertor valve?

There is probably no fault at all. I suspect you have gravity hot water.

Because of the way most of these systems are wired, you cannot have heating without hot water.

You would be able to upgrade the system so the heating could work independantly to hot water by installing a motorised valve onto the gravity hot water circuit, and a cylinder thermostat.

Or even better. Upgrading to a fully pumped system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back