Baxi Bermuda Problems Getting Pilot Light Lit

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am finding that every year I get the service my gas safe engineer, he did finds it tricky to get the pilot light lit.

It's a Baxi Bermuda which I know is old but actually runs well, so reluctant to change just yet.

Have been told that the thermocouple or some other part might need changing and that they may be tricky to get unless there's a universal part out there.

Other than changing the entire boiler which in my instance would be a massive job, can you please advise on what parts may be required and where they can be bought?

Plus any other info on potential reasons for this lighting problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
t/couples are basic part and off the shelf for 7 quid
nothing tricky about a bermuda pilot .
The pilot injector should be cleaned as part of service so flame i correct size/colour if its struggling to light then piezo, ignition lead and electrode will still be available next day

t/couples are basic part and off the shelf for 7 quid
nothing tricky about a bermuda pilot .
The pilot injector should be cleaned as part of service so flame i correct size/colour if its struggling to light then piezo, ignition lead and electrode will still be available next day
That sounds great, thanks.
He did also mention that it could be something more internal to the boiler too but can't remember what that was.

That sounds great, thanks.
He did also mention that it could be something more internal to the boiler too but can't remember what that was.
only other thing that could cause possibly cause pilot problems would be the gas valve which would show up as pilot not staying on as opposed to being difficult to light / same as a t/couple . Gas valves are also still readily available.
Bermudas are a great old work horse of a boiler and easily last 40+ years

Sponsored Links
only other thing that could cause possibly cause pilot problems would be the gas valve which would show up as pilot not staying on as opposed to being difficult to light / same as a t/couple . Gas valves are also still readily available.
Bermudas are a great old work horse of a boiler and easily last 40+ years
Thanks. This Bermuda was originally in place in 1965 although I'm guessing has had most of its parts replaced.

Reluctant to change it as in my particular situation, finding another location for a new boiler is a nightmare plus from what I've heard they don't last long.

Have had various engineers suggest that the only place I could have a be boiler would be in the loft which is not ideal.

Thanks. This Bermuda was originally in place in 1965 although I'm guessing has had most of its parts replaced.

Reluctant to change it as in my particular situation, finding another location for a new boiler is a nightmare plus from what I've heard they don't last long.

Have had various engineers suggest that the only place I could have a be boiler would be in the loft which is not ideal.
oh your talking the actual original bermuda , different story
The t/couples can be made to fit by splitting the nut or buying a universal fire t/couple which has various size split nuts .
But other than that you will not get any parts at all for this the parts have been obsolete since early to mid 90`s

Perhaps get a different engineer, one that is familiar with Baxi, like @gas112, or get Baxi themselves to service it?

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Perhaps get a different engineer, one that is familiar with Baxi, like @gas112, or get Baxi themselves to service it?
Will baxi touch it at this age?
Did try getting cover on it but due to its age, companies won't touch it

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Possibly not, I didn’t know the age, but you could make an enquiry

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
baxi wont touch it and yep no company will cover it purely because they cannot get any parts so it would be miss selling to offer a maintenance contract

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back