Baxi Bermuda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie on here, so please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I've seen so many posts regarding the baxi bermuda boiler system.

We have one in our small, 3 bed house, but we absolutely hate the way the fire front looks and we're looking into changing it. I know that there are only certain fire fronts you can use, which seem to follow the 70's style of the one we have currently (I believe it's the PW5 Deluxe). The boiler itself is excellent and has never once let us down (touch wood), and when we've previously had it serviced, the gas chap told us they're practically indestructible.

Looking online I see there is a replacement baxi bermuda boiler, which is much more efficient and can have a modern looking fire front, albeit electric. The only thing is that I've read they're not the 'straight swap' they're marketed to be, and may not be the best in the long run.

The other option I guess would be to have a modern combi boiler fitted. I know this can affect water pressure, which isn't great in this house, but we use an electric shower, so the hot water would mainly be for the dishes and the occasional bath.

So, my question, or request for advice is, is it worth updating to a newer baxi bermuda, or replacing with a modern combi boiler, or just 'put up and shut up' and live with the ugly fire that we have. I guess what I'm asking is the cost of either system justifiable in terms of the savings in energy etc.

P.S. in case you were wondering, I have absolutely no heating/plumbing knowledge whatsoever, other than that which I've found on Google, which is probably pretty dangerous! :)

Any help/direction is massively appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I would put up with the ugly fire front, replace what you have with anything else and you'll probably be kicking yourself before too long! Once the time comes to pension off the Bermuda then fair comment, but a replacing it simply for aesthetic reasons could take a long time before it begins to repay the initial outlay, if at all.... :cry:

Stick with what you have or go for a new combination boiler.

Avoid the new baxi bermuda.

A new combi fitted by an accredited installer can get you 5-8 years warranty and will save you money on your gas bills, be more efficient and obviously look nicer.

My advice is keep what you have till you have saved up enough money for a good quality combination boiler, obviously this depends on how good your water pressure is, etc (which should be picked up on when being quoted for) and change it then. Or change it when the old back boiler packs up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input guys.

Seems the best thing to do would be to keep the boiler as is until it packs up, then we'll go for a decent combi after that.

So, in terms of making it look a little better, is it safe to put some sort of cover over the fire, a bit like a wooden radiator cover? We never use the fire, opting for the heating instead, but I'd imagine some sort of minimum ventilation would be required. Would it be safe to do something like this, as long as there was some ventilation?

Thanks all.

why don't you have a go at renovating the fire front, they'r easy to remove & with a different paint job may give it a new lease of life, as others have said keep the old boiler going as long as possible.

So, in terms of making it look a little better, is it safe to put some sort of cover over the fire, a bit like a wooden radiator cover?

No. The space around the fire is required for ventilating the back boiler and any obstruction could cause flue gases to vent into the room instead of up the flue.

No you may not paint a fire. It's explicitly against the rules.

I have one of these and what posters tend to overlook is the fact that the large air vent it requires lets an enormous amount of cold air into the room, which is both uncomfortable and a big waste of energy.

I have one of these and what posters tend to overlook is the fact that the large air vent it requires lets an enormous amount of cold air into the room, which is both uncomfortable and a big waste of energy.

And for your safety as the air is needed by the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back