Baxi boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

Boiler: BAXI SOLO 3 PFL 40

Issue: After a couple of minutes of the boiler being on there is a loud banging noise coming from the pipes and then the boiler shuts down and the overheat light comes on.

This issue only started to develop after i bled a radiator. However, this boiler is differen't than most of these new models as mine does not have a gauge or any handle to turn the pressure back up. I am not sure that would even be the reason but it would be a great starting place considering i bled the radiator and the pressure could have dropped in the system. Any suggestions on how the pressure can be turned back up on this boiler? I also checked the ballcock in the tank and that was fine.

Suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You have a small loft tank ( f&e) That feeds water into the heating system , and probably a large tank that supplies a hot water cylinder.
Is there water in the small tank ?
If there is, check the pump Has water in it ,by using its bleed screw.

You have a small loft tank ( f&e) That feeds water into the heating system , and probably a large tank that supplies a hot water cylinder.
Is there water in the small tank ?

Yep there is water in that tank

It's not a pressurised system. Water comes from tank vs filling from mains.
Should top up as you let air out.

Read instructions for fixing overheating.
It's in manual which can be found online.

Sponsored Links
Check that water is reaching the pump and the pump is spinning.
You may have a blocked feed. How much air and water did you release when bleeding rad ?

It's not a pressurised system. Water comes from tank vs filling from mains.
Should top up as you let air out.

Read instructions for fixing overheating.
It's in manual which can be found online.

Referring to this? Tried these steps... turn it back on... banging from pipes and then the boiler switches off, overheat light back on.

Attachments

• overheat.PNG
    overheat.PNG
    86.3 KB · Views: 29
Check that water is reaching the pump and the pump is spinning.
You may have a blocked feed. How much air and water did you release when bleeding rad ?
The radiator wasn't heating up properly so i bled it for about 3 seconds, a tiny bit of air and then a sprinkle of water. Literally. Though since that... there has been issues.

Wouldn't even know where to look for that tbh... was watching youtube videos/researching online and they all suggested it would of been a pressure issue due to bleeding radiators which causes pressure to drop.

However, it seems that this isn't a pressurized system from the post above.... probably dont have enough knowledge from this point to try and fix it myself. Was hoping for an easy fix, wishful thinking lol

Still going to bet it's something so silly though.

All the thermostatic valves open on the radiators?

If you have bled the rad and that air wasn't replaced by water from the F&E cistern then there are a couple of things that could have happened and now there is a blockage or an air lock that is stopping the system circulating and the boiler is now overheating.

As suggested there are a few areas to check, the cold feed from the cistern being the first one.

Something is stopping the circulation of water around the system. The Solo 3 has a cast iron heat exchanger, so the heat from it continues to heat the water even when the burner goes off, because the water isn't going anywhere it overheats resulting in the symptoms you describe.

When you bled the radiator, did you just open and close the radiator bleed screw, or did you do something else?

It could be a blockage somewhere preventing the system re-filling. It's not unknown for the feed pipe from the tank into the system to get blocked. The blockage is usually somewhat metallic so a strong magnet can be used to check for it. Run the magnet along the feed pipe from the tank the 'T' where it joins the rest of the system is the usual place for it to build up. It the magnet sticks you have a build up of sludge.

Reactions: CBW
Where is the radiator in relation to the boiler and cylinder cupboard? Have you checked any air vents on the vertical pipework in the cupboard, have you checked the circulating pump as suggested above? Do you know if your motorised valve is operating as it should?

Hi guys,

So i was able to locate the pump. However, it's scolding hot and vibrating and making a buzzing noise. When i turn the pump off at the switch these both stop. The heating also hasn't been on so not sure why it's so hot.

Tried to fire the boiler back up to see if bleeding the pump made any difference and the boiler wont even fire up now and the water pump back to being scolding hot (cant even touch it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back