BAXI boiler, pilot breakdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have this BAXI boiler and suddenly today, the PILOT ON light won't come on. It just kind of makes a "tick, tick, tick" sound and only the "FAN ON" light is on.

I think this is a "intermittent pilot" as it only switches on when it starts working. Is the electric ignition system for it broken?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your boiler can be fixed, but it is out of your hands as only a gas-safe engineer can fit the faulty part and do the safety checks after doing so.

If you get someone reputable in then it should be repaired at areasonable cost inc. parts.

Sure, but here is a question - I have the capability to get a new one, is this likely something that will repeat? If a new boiler costs 700 and will last me 10 years. Instead every time the pilot breaks and I get quoted 160... is it worth it? Will a new modern combi give me more gas savings?

A new boiler will cost perhaps £700 ( upwards for a good one ) but fitting will be about £740 by a gas reg engineer.

I dont know where you get the figure of £160 from.

Depending on exactly where the problem lies I would expect the repair cost to be under £100.

You seem to imply the boiler faults every year or so. That should not be the case unless there is an underlying problem which is not being dealt with.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
In the end the problem was both the fan and the PCB, which is half the cost of the boiler to fix, so I replaced it with a combi and got rid of all the tanks in the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back