baxi combi 80e plate heat exchanger whine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have the above boiler and the plate heat exchanger produces an annoying whine when i turn off the hot tap [any of them] when the central heating is on. it doesn't happen when the c/heating is off/cold, sometimes if i turn the hot tap back on then turn it off extreamly slowly it whines low to high pitch very quickly then stops, it is six years old and has been doing it for 4 years. i have just serviced it according to the baxi manual and flushed then re-comissioned but to no avail! please help.

Sponsored Links
The plate heat exchanger is a passive device and has nothing to make any noise.

I suspect that it may be the diverter valve moving which you are hearing.

I am worried about anyone who is not gas registered servicing a boiler. How did you measure the gas pressures?

Tony

Me too!

I would suggest that if you have no idea what is causing your noise your not competant to carrying out a service on a boiler.

For your safety and that of your family please use a recomended RGI...

The plate heat exchanger is a passive device and has nothing to make any noise.

I suspect that it may be the diverter valve moving which you are hearing.

I am worried about anyone who is not gas registered servicing a boiler. How did you measure the gas pressures?

Tony
hi tony, thanks for your concern/replying, i didn't get involved with the dangerous gas side of it, i only removed burner and brushed/replaced it and cleaned the flu ect. i did suspect the diverter but it is not as noisy as the plate heat exchanger. it might be amplifieing the noise as it is almost directly connected to it, and hollow, i have replaced the differential diaphram twice in the last three years, i will check the diverter valve assembly now, many thanks for your advice :D

Sponsored Links
Me too!

I would suggest that if you have no idea what is causing your noise your not competant to carrying out a service on a boiler.

For your safety and that of your family please use a recomended RGI...
thanks that was really helpful

i didn't get involved with the dangerous gas side of it, i only removed burner and brushed/replaced it and cleaned the flu ect.

The gas engineers on here will have a laugh at that because to us THAT is dangerous!

Tony

i didn't get involved with the dangerous gas side of it, i only removed burner and brushed/replaced it and cleaned the flu ect.

The gas engineers on here will have a laugh at that because to us THAT is dangerous!

Tony
i was only joking about cleaning the flu, i know that is dangerous, stupid to joke about things like that really, couldn't resist, sorry, thanks once again.

I was more concerned about you removing the burner!

Tony

Why? There's no nuts or safety devices to remove and the manual gives you step by step instructions to how to do it.

I am sure the flight crew on a 747 has a manual telling em how the controls work......not sure you reading it would qualify you to fly tho......

ANY work on a boiler that involves breaching the combustion chamber or messing with safety devices is illegal unless your competant. The OP isn't. It isn't about spoiling his fun ortrying to cost him money is for his safety, his families safety and keeps him from prosecution...

I heard today of a CO incident in Maidstone.(dont know any more details at mo) if "hijuju" doesnt post soon I fear the worst.

I am sure the flight crew on a 747 has a manual telling em how the controls work......not sure you reading it would qualify you to fly tho......

ANY work on a boiler that involves breaching the combustion chamber or messing with safety devices is illegal unless your competant. The OP isn't. It isn't about spoiling his fun ortrying to cost him money is for his safety, his families safety and keeps him from prosecution...
747 vs Boiler..yeah right.

I just can't agree it's unsafe if you follow the instructions. Isolate boiler, take out 6 screws and that's it. Not exactly a 'breach'

The instructions won`t teach the OP to check chamber seal properly or wat correct flame picture looks like though will they........!? did they clean injectors............ if so wat with.........

still potentially a death waiting to happen, just that crashing a 747 will kill more people....

kitch

Well Nat evolution has a way to deal with people that won't be told.....

You were missing my point, the fact that you can doesn't mean you should...your breaking the law and potentially putting your and others lives at risk.

Illegal gas work, however 'simple' it appears is illegal. The fact that you do it doesn't detract from that point.

So, are you saying it's illegal for anyone but an RGI to service a boiler?

I get the point of others in regards to how they check gas pressure and the like but cleaning the fins and the fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back