Baxi combi getting conflicting info

Thanks for tip re: taps perhaps I've gone for aesthetics and easy to operate and sacrificed longevity.

Sponsored Links
Thats sort of what made sense with the mix of water to me but wasn't sure if it was a real plumbing issue with no understanding of the water system. So does that mean that it can be only one faulty tap/valve causing a problem with every outlet, as allowing cold in at that point; or am I over simplifying???

that is possible, water can pass inside a tap from a higher pressure pipe to a lower pressure one. This is not usually seen with a combi, as they should be the same, but pressure will drop somewhat in whichever pipe is running an open tap. Sometimes it is in a shower mixer. If you feel the pipes under the taps you might detect the faulty one, because the "hot" pipe will be surprisingly cold (more rarely, the other way round)

if you've recently had some plumbing work done, it's possible that you previously had a part-closed valve to try to hide a problem, and someone has fully opened it after finishing work. Again, this bodge is usually done with a vented cylinder, not with a combi boiler.

This is all great advice and information thanks so much. And at least I know I'm right that something has changed and looked for the right things. Would you all concur that it's pointless getting the Baxi boiler man back then as he'll say not his fault/problem and boiler is fine, or should I try with them?

Sponsored Links
Didn't the baxi guy already tell you that your problem is cold water getting into hot pipework AFTER the boiler ? As you told us the bathroom was refurbed in September ,You should contact the plumber who did the work there. That would be my starting point for investigation. Did you buy the bathroom fittings ,taps/showers etc from a company called Victoria something or other ?

Baxi guy didn't diagnose anything. He fixed an error code but after he'd been noticed issue with water mix, so my first thought was he fixed one thing and broke something else. Waiting weeks for baxi due to covid which is why I thought I'd investigate myself whilst waiting. But baxi is now coming Thursday, assume I should cancel him, as not his fault?? Everything bought at plumbing place recommended by plumber, always been told avoid victoria... as their stuff is cr**!

Personally I’d keep the appointment as you or the forum members don’t actually know what he fixed, and you said it’s not worked since his visit. Just be sure you’re not charged for the visit.

Quote from your earler post.......Mains water got really cold due to outside temp now 5c most days since baxi fit, and Im being told that this cold water is getting into the hot pipes after the boiler.

Who told you ?

One check, as was suggested, would be if you have isolation valves on the feeds to your taps and showers. Shut all of them down and then try one shower on it's own, shut that one down and try the other and work through it that way. Any one of the outlets could be passing water between the hot and the cold.

That being said, cross mixing shouldn't be really be a problem given the fact that both the hot and cold should be balanced as they are both from the same mains supply. Always something to check though.

Haven't we proven there's let-by at a mixer? The hot outlet at the boiler is red hot.
I'd check whether Baxi will charge for a no fault found on the boiler as this appears to be a simple plumbing issue...with a mixer.
Get the plumber back to isolate the shower for starters although many will be fitted with non return valves and the problem should not arise. Otherwise work through each mixer. All in all this is a simple problem to sort out.

Told via Face Time by a gas engineer who I know who lives far away after I basically moaned about Baxi to him. But he's newly qualified and said he'd never seen it, didn't know why it would happen, couldn't understand it. So I was a little dubious as he said it just couldn't happen with cold water. If that makes sense.

Baxi fixed an error code, there was something faulty in boiler which was replaced, so it was a true fault. After baxi man left, a few days later noticed water temp change in all outlets, I assumed the 2 were related, which seems reasonable to me.
But looking back the outside temp also changed significantly after fix it may have also been doing it when baxi were here but less apparent if cold water wasn't as cold as now, and did baxi ignore or not check everything. Sorry it seems like I'm rambling.

OK. Thanks all. Have spoken to bathroom fitter who's going to come by, will likely cancel Baxi when they phone to give appointment slot night before. As was worried that even though have 10 year warranty they would charge me if boiler fine. That's where I was conflicted, because even pleading ignorance they might blame me. And all on here seem to agree boiler is doing fine, it's plumbing. Thanks. Now at least I have some great info for talking to plumber and won't feel in the dark.

Remember that as Winter approaches the hot water performance will always drop due to the significantly lower cold water inlet temperature.
The boiler kW power can only do so much and if you open taps too much the water may never get to your desired temperature.
If you've only got the base model..typically a 24 kW output you will almost certainly have to lower your flowrates this time of year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back